Limitations of uplink port exactly?

lightminer

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
For an uplink port, can you simply plug it into another server? I don't want to use it in a particular case for another switch or router. I know on some you can turn it off or on as being an uplink port, I'm looking at the SG500X-24 from Cisco and want to use the optional 10 GbE simply as another port.

lightminer

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out 10GbE crossover cables and I'm not finding much good info out there. The port on the Cisco switch is a 10 GbE sfp+ port, I'm not even 100% sure its base-T.

Sorry, I haven't worked with 10GbE and I'm unsure of it's requirements and cable pinout. On gigbit networks, uplink ports aren't needed as the gigabit spec calls for auto mdi-x. I'd assume it's the same for 10GbE. This should eliminate the need for crossover cables assuming the device you are connected to (router or switch) is also 10GbE.

lightminer

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Well, it is a little scary because a lower-end switch in the same family lists auto mdi-x and the one I want doesn't list it. However, now that I had a term to look up I did read in several places that it is in place for most/all gigabit/10GbE equipment, and that would be great. Thanks for the pointers! So while I'm still not sure, I will buy the device and test...