Limited access, cannot connect to network

mindsack

Reputable
May 18, 2014
I've been having problems connecting to my wireless network with my laptop. I have an Asus Republic of Gamers G51J and have no issues connecting to my work's wireless network, which is WPA2 enterprise. When I get home from work, I have to reset my wireless adapter on my laptop, as well as my wireless router, a WBR 2310 like 3 or 4 times before my laptop will finally establish a connection and not drop immediately.

I've got my router set to Super G without Turbo, enable DNS relay, and auto channel scan. The network is comprised of my desktop and NAS which are wired into the laptop, and my moms desktop, my Samsung Galaxy S2X T989D smartphone, and the laptop in question are connected wirelessly.

This has been going on for weeks now, where every single day I have to unplug the router and reset the computers adapter over and over again before they stay connected. No other devices have had this problem. I've changed the name of the network, the type of security (from WPA, to WPA2) the passwords(double checking that I typed the correctly multiple times), over and over again, nothing else seems to have problems connecting and maintaining a connection.

Until today, when, after updating the routers firmware (the latest version is 2.03 from 2009 ugh) now neither my smartphone or my laptop can connect. After resetting to default a couple times and changing the password a few times, neither can even establish a connection. My laptop says "Windows was unable to connect to *network*" and my smartphone now says "Saved, Secured" and then "Authentication Error Occured"

I'm completely at a loss and considering buying a new router and smashing this dinosaur to pieces, but I would like to know if this problem is solvable before I go buy a new one and encounter the same issues. Is this a problem with my router or with my devices?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Sounds like the router, firmware is rather old, and may well be a reason it hasn't been updated, might be problematic with the newer hardware, drivers, etc, I've still got some good adapters but they won't work with current OSs and some of my newer hardware