Limited connectivity with web page authentication

jeff

I've seen this several times now on several computers using SP2. When they
connect to public network that requires the user to sign in on a web page
to use the network, the network card gets an IP address but no browsers will
work. Essentially, they can't get past the proxy. It doesn't matter if it is
wireless or wired and it seem to only happen in SP2. Anyone else seeing
this?

Yes. I do tech support for just such a network, the only sollution is to
use a mozzila browser, or I suppose any non-IE browser. This is an IE
issue and SP2. what happens is that no matter what XP SP2 won't let you
set the IE security settings bellow a certaint level. I forget exactly
which, I believe medium-low is too low even for SP2. It will also on
SOME installs to give the impression that it actually DID reset the
security level when it didn't.. What are most providers & users doing
about it? Either throw SP2 away or using firefox. check out

--
ozzybud