Question Limited number of OpenVPN connections to router

Mar 31, 2020
We are using a Linksys WRT1900ACS router at the office. Connected to this is a simple NAS with an Ethernet connection. The router has an OpenVPN feature that we are using to gain access to the NAS remotely. The problem is that the router only allows 5 active connections to the VPN server at a time. We need 6.

Can anyone suggest a router product with a similar feature that can support more active connections? None of the products I looked at list the number of allowed connections. Is 5 pretty standard, or does it vary by device? Alternate solutions welcome.

I am not sure I guess I ran into other limits before i hit 5. You could try a dd-wrt image on that router and see if the limit is different.

Generally the upload speed limits your sessions or the router cpu will cap it. Even faster routers seem to cap out in the 20-30mbps range.

Mar 31, 2020
I had thought about using alternate firmware, but I don't want to make things worse. Or spend a lot of time trying to fix it if something goes wrong.

In this case, I think the router is pre-configured to cap it at five because they knew what the hardware limitations were. This unit actually lets me adjust the IP address range for the VPN clients and it limits it to only five addresses. Once they are all taken, it just ignores additional requests.

I'm thinking it would be cheaper in terms of time to just buy a new unit that can do what we need, but not if I can't find one that will definitely work.

kanewolf

Titan
We are using a Linksys WRT1900ACS router at the office. Connected to this is a simple NAS with an Ethernet connection. The router has an OpenVPN feature that we are using to gain access to the NAS remotely. The problem is that the router only allows 5 active connections to the VPN server at a time. We need 6.

Can anyone suggest a router product with a similar feature that can support more active connections? None of the products I looked at list the number of allowed connections. Is 5 pretty standard, or does it vary by device? Alternate solutions welcome.
If this is a business, then buy a business class router that has hardware acceleration for VPN -- something like a Zyxel Zywall. You can have 250Mbit throughput on a VPN.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS