[SOLVED] Limited upload speed.

Mar 9, 2021
Hello,

My PC msinfo file can be found here: MSinfo Onedrive file

The issue I'm having is:

My PC is located in the same room as my brothers PC. He receives 200-250mbs Download and 40-50mbs upload consistently via ethernet. I noticed a lot of buffering on videos and downloads, so I checked mine, the Download is 200-250 and but the upload was at 2mbs max via ethernet. I restart the PC and it goes to 7-8mbs, but shortly after back down to 2mbs. During the test, the bar looks like it is trying to go higher but is being knocked back down.

The package we pay for is BT Business Broadband To The Property (250mbs/50mbs). I have tested the speed through the BT Router settings for our BT Smart Hub 2(S/N +091300+1920001594) and the router is receiving 250mbs/50mbs as advertised by my ISP. The modem and router both appear to be working fine and my brothers PC has no issues with internet connection dropouts/lag/buffering whatsoever.

Why would my download be fine but my upload severely restricted on only this device? I understand my issue and speeds aren't as bad as some, but it's still bugging me especially when I'll be looking to stream games in the near future.

• I have updated the BIOS since uploading the the msinfo document, to ensure it's completely up-to-date prior to requesting help.
  • I have updated all my drivers, in both device management and in Driver Repair which now reads that everything is totally up to date.
  • We have tried swapping ethernet cables, same result.
  • We have disabled all windows firewall or antivirus, to no effect.
  • I have tried to search for any settings that may be restricting my port/prioritising my brothers PC as a main device.
  • I have tried changing my IP to go through OpenDNS, this did not improve it, if anything it made it slower. I flushed DNS pre and post using OpenDNS and cleared browsing cache.
I feel it must be something on my PC/software end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
It is highly unlikely you have a hardware issue in ethernet. It tends to almost always be the cable if there is a hardware issue.

The simplest test you can do to check your network is to copy files between the 2 machines in your house when both are connected via ethernet to the router You can see the speeds via the network tab in the resource monitor. You can also run a old test program called IPERF, You should show 900mbps in both directions.

The main software that causes strange issues like this is any form of "gamer" network accelerators. Most times these are bundled with the motherbaord but I have seen people say there are also version bundled with video cards. All this software is garbage since it can not have...
Mar 9, 2021
Have you tried to connect your PC directly to modem (without router inbetween)? If in that case you still have slow upload, that would indicate there's 100% something wrong on your PC/software side.
No, that's a great suggestion and I should've thought of it. I'll try it when I get home :)

You can buy a cheap usb to ethernet dongle just to test if your onboard nic might be going out

Good idea thankyou, I'll try that and feedback asap.

EDIT: I had my brother quickly ping google.com from cmd prompt to test my NIC, these are the results.
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 14ms

Would you still suggest trying the ethernet adapter if this suggests my NIC is fine?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021
that ping test is only showing that your computer said hello to google and google said hello back.

You need to run something like this https://www.speedtest.net/ to tell you what your up and down speed is. Its also not a bad idea to just have a usb to ethernet dongle laying around. I carry one in my laptop bag for just in case reasons.
Speedtest

All done, even less today. I will try it again with the USB adapter when it arrives tomorrow, and I'll also try it direct into the modem with both my pc ethernet and the adapter.

It is highly unlikely you have a hardware issue in ethernet. It tends to almost always be the cable if there is a hardware issue.

The simplest test you can do to check your network is to copy files between the 2 machines in your house when both are connected via ethernet to the router You can see the speeds via the network tab in the resource monitor. You can also run a old test program called IPERF, You should show 900mbps in both directions.

The main software that causes strange issues like this is any form of "gamer" network accelerators. Most times these are bundled with the motherbaord but I have seen people say there are also version bundled with video cards. All this software is garbage since it can not have any effect on traffic outside the machine. Look for any form of QoS are network acceleration software and uninstall it.

Reactions: ADM1992
Solution

TRENDING THREADS