alex

I have Windows XP Professional loaded on several PCs having only two
accounts 1) Administrator 2) Users.

The Users account is only a member of the Guests group. I had hoped that
the restricted account would prevent users from changing the computer's
appearance such as the desktop and Media Player skins, etc. Is this level
of control possible?

Thank you

Hi Alex,

Restrict users from changing the wallpapers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555429

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Alex" <alex9933@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message news:u6BgPfzpFHA.736@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I have Windows XP Professional loaded on several PCs having only two accounts 1) Administrator 2)
>Users.
>
> The Users account is only a member of the Guests group. I had hoped that the restricted account
> would prevent users from changing the computer's appearance such as the desktop and Media Player
> skins, etc. Is this level of control possible?
>
> Thank you

You are very welcome !

--

"Alex" <alex9933@prodigy.net.mx> wrote in message news:%23$WkgD1pFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thank you very much Anado!
>
> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message news:edpTIozpFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> Restrict users from changing the wallpapers in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555429
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org

JohnSmith

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

In <u6BgPfzpFHA.736@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, "Alex" <alex9933@prodigy.net.mx> writes:
>I have Windows XP Professional loaded on several PCs having only two
>accounts 1) Administrator 2) Users.
>
>The Users account is only a member of the Guests group. I had hoped that
>the restricted account would prevent users from changing the computer's
>appearance such as the desktop and Media Player skins, etc. Is this level
>of control possible?

Try a 3rd party utility called Deep Freeze

Alex wrote:

> Thank you very much Anado!

This is more direct:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop]
"NoChangingWallpaper"=dword:00000001

Steve