Limited WEB SURFING - PROBLEM - Please suggest solutions

archerman

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
I have a friend who called me tonight say that her computer was running very slow o the internet. She can't even load googles homepage without waiting and luck. She said she has a virus - ofcourse they all do - and that her McaFee softwar had expired and she never installed another one.

Since I'm not there and can't bring my programs I am trying to help her out on her own.

What we have done so far:
Unistalled all the Mcafee soft

Checked MS firewall and told it we had VP and would monitor it ourselves.

Looked through the exceptions and made sure nothing important was being blocked.

Check process running and looked up each process to see what it is and nothing suspisious there and nothing tying up the CPU or memory

Her HD had 14gb used and 40+ free - so no problems there.

Reports her RAM correctly

Restarted the computer.

Here computer isn't running slow it is just when she surfs the net, which is what bothers me, as I'm thinking this is tied to some security software holding her back because she doesn't have anti-virus.

As soon as I get her on the net she will dl AVG, hijack this, spybot and see if thier is anything on her computer - I doubt it I just think I'm missing a setting somewhere.

I have one last thing to try - She has a laptop and I assumed she was hooked up directly to her modem via a router - but now I need to call her back to see if this is the problem

thanks for your help!

archerman

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
UPDATE:

The computer is hooked up directly and the internet setting look good.

Although she cannot get on to the net she was able to connect using yahoo messenger. I sent the AVG, Spybot, HiJack-this and Firefox to her (via messenger). All will the programs will update online correctly but even firefox won't allo here to view websites...

after all programs run, logs viewed and minimual problems taken care of still no net.

I'm at a loss and told her to call her ISP tomorrow...

any suggestions would be GREAT!

I missed how she is connecting... dial-up, DSL, Cable?

Sometimes these problems can be crews working on lines somewhere. The funny thing is, the very company they work for will have no clue.

One time, my DSL connection tanked to sub-dial-up speeds. After 3 long phone calls and hours of network and connection debugs, it was discovered that some tech "downtown" had "accidentally thrown the wrong switch" and the problem was solved.

Just recently my service once again got lousy. This lasted for two weeks and the phone company seemed mystified. I kept complaining and the service magically was restored, although I never recieved a "why." I had noted phone company trucks in the area before and during the incident.

In any case, it sounds like you are right on top of it. The only thing I would suggest is that YOU make the call to her ISP. You'll be able to explain what has been done, and because of your knowledge you'll get alot more respect than she will. If she calls they'll make her go through all the steps again, that you have already done.

Edit:

After reading your second post more closely.... it almost sounds like her TCP/IP isn't working. This might explain how DL's are happening but web surfing is not.

She could certainly try uninstalling her networking stuff and re-installing it... might want to make notes on the settings first :wink:

archerman

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
She is connected via cable.

She was able to DL files through messenger with no problems 18MB size files but was unable to vie googles home page through either browser. Strange to me.

I may take your advice about making the call but probably not since many ISPs won't even talk to you unless your the one ont he account. I had a friend who called but since her husband had the account under his name they wouldn't talk to his wife... and all of this is with Comcast, so she will probably have to make the call and go through everything all over again.

Thanks and I will post if it gets figured out.

Hehe... I usually identify myself as the person, until I get the real tech on the line. :lol:

Did you get my last edit regarding the protocol? This sounds like a protocol problem. A network re-installation should be quick.... I'm guessing you already tried the Repair option under network connections?