[SOLVED] Limited wired download speeds on Asus TM-AC1900

dah328

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I just switched ISPs from Spectrum 200/10 (down/up) to AT&T Gigabit fiber (~940 down/up). AT&T provides a combo fiber modem/router that I connected directly to my existing Asus TM-AC1900 router so as to keep all my existing router configurations, etc. With wired Ethernet connections directly to the AT&T router, I get about 940 Mbps up and down on two different laptops. With a similar wired Ethernet connection to the Asus router, I get only 340 down and about 800 up. I thought the Asus router should handle gigabit speeds over its wired ports. Have I misunderstood its specs or might I have something misconfigured?

Solution
Thanks, after resetting my router config, I was able to achieve 940Mbps up/down speeds. After restoring my router config, speeds were back down, so that narrows it down to something in the router's configuration.
There are many things that can do it. QOS, performance logging. You will probably want to start with a factory reset and enable one option at a time until you identify what is the "feature" that is diabling hardware offloading, and forcing all traffic to pass through the router CPU.

kanewolf

Titan
I just switched ISPs from Spectrum 200/10 (down/up) to AT&T Gigabit fiber (~940 down/up). AT&T provides a combo fiber modem/router that I connected directly to my existing Asus TM-AC1900 router so as to keep all my existing router configurations, etc. With wired Ethernet connections directly to the AT&T router, I get about 940 Mbps up and down on two different laptops. With a similar wired Ethernet connection to the Asus router, I get only 340 down and about 800 up. I thought the Asus router should handle gigabit speeds over its wired ports. Have I misunderstood its specs or might I have something misconfigured?
Export your current config to your PC then factory reset the Asus. You need to verify that something in the config is not limiting. If there is improved performance then you will have to setup uour config again.

Reactions: dah328

dah328

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Export your current config to your PC then factory reset the Asus. You need to verify that something in the config is not limiting. If there is improved performance then you will have to setup uour config again.

Thanks, after resetting my router config, I was able to achieve 940Mbps up/down speeds. After restoring my router config, speeds were back down, so that narrows it down to something in the router's configuration.

kanewolf

Titan
There are many things that can do it. QOS, performance logging. You will probably want to start with a factory reset and enable one option at a time until you identify what is the "feature" that is diabling hardware offloading, and forcing all traffic to pass through the router CPU.

Solution