[SOLVED] Lines on Monitor - Faulty Monitor or graphics card?

EshanMistry73

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Hi Guys!

So i have two Samsung monitors, however, one has a intermittent fault where these weird lines/chunks of black appear on the screen. The weird thing is, if i restart the monitor a few times, these will dissapear and it'll work as normal, however, once i turn it off and then turn it on the next time i use them, they re-appear. As shown, if i load up the Samsung menu for example on the monitor, its behind these weird lines/patterns. Another thing i noticed is that these lines upon startup can fade, so they will fade out/be less bright if that makes sense. I've attached some pictures.

Samsung said they'll collect the monitor tomorrow for repair, but im just wanting to ask if anyone has had this type of issue before/can confirm its definitely the monitor as their support didn't really clarify, or if its a issue with my graphics card? For reference my other monitor works perfectly and has no issues.

20190714_141733.jpg

20190730_195440.jpg

20190808_133932.jpg

Solution
You are looking at an internal issue with that particular monitor.

Likely poor solder joints (a manufacturing issue) which are responding to heating as the monitor warms-up.

I have had this exact problem with LCD/LED TVs that I use as a monitor for my security cameras, and it usually crops-up on me at around 3 years of 24/7 use. Admittedly, it can be repaired by opening it up and re-soldering a bunch of connections, and that can take time, but doing just that usually takes care of the issue for me.

I doubt that your Samsung techs will go that far, quite honestly; but, depending on their resources and resolve, they might actually open it up and take care of it--particularly if they have seen, and successfully dealt with the...
Hi Guys!

So i have two Samsung monitors, however, one has a intermittent fault where these weird lines/chunks of black appear on the screen. The weird thing is, if i restart the monitor a few times, these will dissapear and it'll work as normal, however, once i turn it off and then turn it on the next time i use them, they re-appear. As shown, if i load up the Samsung menu for example on the monitor, its behind these weird lines/patterns. Another thing i noticed is that these lines upon startup can fade, so they will fade out/be less bright if that makes sense. I've attached some pictures.

Samsung said they'll collect the monitor tomorrow for repair, but im just wanting to ask if anyone has had this type of issue before/can confirm its definitely the monitor as their support didn't really clarify, or if its a issue with my graphics card? For reference my other monitor works perfectly and has no issues.

20190714_141733.jpg

20190730_195440.jpg

20190808_133932.jpg
Pictures are not posted.

Likely poor solder joints (a manufacturing issue) which are responding to heating as the monitor warms-up.

I have had this exact problem with LCD/LED TVs that I use as a monitor for my security cameras, and it usually crops-up on me at around 3 years of 24/7 use. Admittedly, it can be repaired by opening it up and re-soldering a bunch of connections, and that can take time, but doing just that usually takes care of the issue for me.

I doubt that your Samsung techs will go that far, quite honestly; but, depending on their resources and resolve, they might actually open it up and take care of it--particularly if they have seen, and successfully dealt with the issue before.

Last edited:
Solution

EshanMistry73

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016

Likely poor solder joints which are responding to heating as the monitor warms-up.

Ah i see! :(

I appreciate your reply, thank you very much! Ill definitely send it back tomorrow to Samsung then! Fingers crossed the other one doesn't have the same issue/Samsung repair it correctly!

Given the nature of the problem, you actually do want them to re-solder the connections. A replacement monitor would likely have the same issue which will make itself evident after some time.

I've been seeing more and more of this kind of thing, as time goes by; and it bothers me that Samsung has joined the legions of other monitor manufacturers in presenting with this particular failure mode--because it's completely unnecessary.

EshanMistry73

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Ah i see, is this quiet a common thing then as i have two of them? I contacted them as they are still under warranty they said that their repair centre would have a look and try repair them, however ill definitely give them a call tomorrow as i need them repairing properly as i dont want to have this re-happen with either!

I think that it would be inaccurate to refer to it as an "epidemic"--certainly not along the lines of the "Great Capacitor Plague of 2005"--but I have seen an increase of this kind of failure mode over the years; and it does trace back to lower resources used for component soldering, and a faster pass through the ovens.

If your repair center reports back to you that the issue is poor solder joints/connections (if they report specifics at all), you can assume that they properly addressed the issue.