Link color for viewed threads

specialkp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Is it possible to indicate if I have viewed a thread? Normally this is really simple in the html with just a:visited, but you might have some other crazy css styles. Lately I have been researching a lot and read lots of threads, but when I come back I can't remember which ones I have read, so I end up reading something twice or missing threads completely because I think I've read them before. It would be really nice to have the regular link visited color change, or something similar. Thanks.

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
Hi, to the left of each thread, there is a small button. If it is orange, then you have unread posts. Also when orange, there is a small orange button to the left of thread title (with an arrow), if you click on that, it takes you to the first unread post.

specialkp

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Hi, I guess that only works for relatively new posts? I noticed that after a few days (on page 2 or 3 of any topic) it just marks everything as read even if I havn't clicked on the thread links... I guess that's understandable since keeping track of all users thread views would take a lot o resources. Or maybe the older ones are just marked as read since I just made a new account.. oh well. I guess this thread went nowhere fast :? Maybe I'll just get some sleep now...

steve_sa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2005
After 7 days, everything is marked 'old' or 'read'... this is done for performance reasons, and also we don't want to overwhelm users with all buttons being orange when they join.

There is a link for 'view posts since last visit' and that one accurately shows posts since your last visit (orange or white status).