Link Power Management from Intel Rapid Storage?

goodyfresh

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Hey guys, so I was wondering, what are the advantages vs. disadvantages of enabling or disabling Link Power Management in the Intel Rapid Storage options for my HP Envy laptop with a Seagate SSHD (hybrid-drive)?

Solution
By disabling lpm you would lose some battery time since the os would not be able to powerdown the device.
It has almost zero affect on system performance but may appear to be more responsive since the hdd wont go into the deep power saving modes and need to wake up from them.

goodyfresh

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

By gaining a few minutes battery-time by having LPM disabled, would I see some corresponding decrease in performance under certain conditions/situations?

popatim

Titan
By disabling lpm you would lose some battery time since the os would not be able to powerdown the device.
It has almost zero affect on system performance but may appear to be more responsive since the hdd wont go into the deep power saving modes and need to wake up from them.

Solution

goodyfresh

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Thank you very much, good sir or madaam :) I definitely care more about responsiveness and maximizing performance to the utmost than I do about battery-life (I use my laptop more as a portable desktop, I take it places but pretty much always use it plugged-in) and so I think that I will disable LPM just like I already have made a habit of disabling APM (which, as we all know, annoying resets itself to factory defaults whenever the computer goes into hibernation or sleep, meaning that I keep having to use Crystal Disk Info to turn off APM AGAIN AND AGAIN which is really annoying >_<).