Link State Routing in Ad hoc Mobile Networks

Hi

I want to know is that possible OSPF link-state routing protocol can
handle ad hoc mobile neworks.

Waiting for reply.

--
khurramalik28

"khurramalik28" <khurramalik28.1cckaa@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote
in message news:khurramalik28.1cckaa@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

> I want to know is that possible OSPF link-state routing protocol can
> handle ad hoc mobile neworks.

Routing protocols are used primarily by routers to establish routes to
networks. The presence of user devices, however brief, has no effect on
routing. Am I understanding your questions correctly?

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Stephen

"khurramalik28" <khurramalik28.1cckaa@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote
in message news:khurramalik28.1cckaa@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

> Hi
>
> I want to know is that possible OSPF link-state routing protocol can
> handle ad hoc mobile neworks.

OSPF is an IP routing protocol, and is intended to run on an IP router- so
it is only going to give you useful info if:

1. you have routers "hung off" each access point, so the ad hoc network is a
single layer 2 cloud.
2. you embed routing in between wireless links and use OSPf to choose an
optimal path across multiple links.

1. is just using your wireles network as another kind of ethernet - so it
will work, although routing protocols work best with resonably stable
connectivity.
2. gives you a way of choosing a best path when you cross multiple wireless
links - but only if you have multiple possible paths, and routers "between"
bridge sets within the topology.

the underlying "choose best path" algorithm of OSPF could be adapted to run
at layer 2 within the wireless LAN itself (similar things have been done to
adapt OSPF to other environments, such as routing inside an ATM switch set)-
but it is a complex protocol and that woudl require a lot of effort to get
working - and custom access points to make use of it.

--
Regards