Question Linking 3 pin fan to a 3 pin socket on a fan hub: can I use a 4 pin cable extender

Neillb

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2013
Hi - new build, and I want to link a 3 pin case fan to a fan hub with 3pin input sockets. All the extender cables available seem to be 4pin at each end. Is it okay to insert a 4 pin extender cable between a 3 pin fan and a 3pin socket of fan hub?
Advice welcome.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes. In the two systems, the functions of the first three pins are almost ideentical so you CAN use a 4-pin fan extension cable in a 3-pin fan system. The only problem you might have is the spacing of things AROUND the 3-pin output connector of the Hub. The female 4-pin plug on the input end of the extension cable is wider than a 3-pin connector, so it might not fit onto the male output of the Hub if something gets in the way. I know that can be an issue with the Phanteks PWM Hub. But that can be solved becasue that Hub comes with small 3-pin Splitters, and you can use one of those to get away from the restricted space around a Hub port and provide an unemcubered external male 3-pin connector that any extension cable could plug into. So even if you don't have the Phanteks model, if the spacing on your Hub outputs prevents pugging in a 4-pin extension cable, inserting a small THREE-pin Splitter in there can get your connection to work.