[SOLVED] Linking PWM fans with appropriate temp sensor

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
I would appreciate help in linking fans to appropriate temp sensors. I have...

1) 4 PWM fans connected to mobo headers
  • CPU fan
  • Side in fan
  • Back & top exhaust fans
2) 6 mobo temp sensors (see illustration)

I don't play games, but occasionally use Handbrake for video editing. During last encoding session, my temp/fan speed monitor showed fans connected to VRM MOS and System 2 temp sensors had RPM's over 9,000. That's okay, as long as its appropriate.

Is this enough info to help link fans to appropriate temp sensor (using Smart Fan 5)? Obviously, I link the CPU fan with CPU temp sensor... what about the others/ What is good standard of practice?

g9CLlK0.jpg

My rig:

Mobo: GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU: i7-8700
RAM: 64GB 2666
GPU: Radeon/AMD RX 550
OS Disk: M.2, Samsung 960 EVO NVMe pcie 250GB

Last edited:
Solution
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard...an image doesn't help narrow down anything, especially since all the brands except Biostar, ECS and EVGA, have adopted angular designs.

If you want to have all fans ramp up or die down with respect to the CPU temps, you're best off buying a PWM fan hub(one with a dedicated power input to said hub) and then pair all PWM fans to the hub. If you want to pair the fans to a particular heastsource reading(temp sensor) then you will need to assign them in groups per header. The CPU fan header will need to be for the CPU cooler, mind you.

Speaking of which, what sort of specs are we dealing with? This isn't a watercooled build, now, is it?

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard...an image doesn't help narrow down anything, especially since all the brands except Biostar, ECS and EVGA, have adopted angular designs.

If you want to have all fans ramp up or die down with respect to the CPU temps, you're best off buying a PWM fan hub(one with a dedicated power input to said hub) and then pair all PWM fans to the hub. If you want to pair the fans to a particular heastsource reading(temp sensor) then you will need to assign them in groups per header. The CPU fan header will need to be for the CPU cooler, mind you.

Speaking of which, what sort of specs are we dealing with? This isn't a watercooled build, now, is it?

Reactions: CDdude55
Solution

ScottForum

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2014
Thanks for the feedback.
Build specs are at the bottom of the post

I did note cpu fan to cpu temp, but otherwise, that's my predicament. What should I do here? Whixh fan/temp sensor conenction would be most appropriate? Or, is the answer... Since I'm not playing games, maybe be best to simply use Smart Fan 5's 'Standard' setting?

No, no water cooling.