[SOLVED] Linking two PCs and passwords

cve60069

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello

I am wanting to connect two PCs via the router. When I search the network, I can see the PC I want to connect with but when I try it asks for the username and password. I do not use a password on either machine to log on; do I need to set one to use the network or is it a different password I have to create?

Thanks

Solution
I am wanting to connect two PCs via the router. When I search the network, I can see the PC I want to connect with but when I try it asks for the username and password. I do not use a password on either machine to log on; do I need to set one to use the network or is it a different password I have to create?
On pc you have shared folder (PC1), create a local user account with password ( password can not be empty). Change share and file access permissions on shared folder to allow access to new account.
On the other pc (PC2), where you're accessing shared resource, use username/password from the first pc.

If you don't want to enter password each time, then
on PC1 create local user account with same name/same password as on...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The easiest thing to do would be to set up a simple user/pass for this to work. I think Windows has a way via "homegroup" or similar that it can allow connection but my experience with it was not real good from a reliability standpoint.
In the network settings you should select the "use a" option for the user/pass option (which is also where the "let windows" option resides)

On pc you have shared folder (PC1), create a local user account with password ( password can not be empty). Change share and file access permissions on shared folder to allow access to new account.
On the other pc (PC2), where you're accessing shared resource, use username/password from the first pc.

If you don't want to enter password each time, then
on PC1 create local user account with same name/same password as on PC2. Again - password can not be empty.

Solution