Question Links in apps won't open in browser

May 13, 2019
When I click on a web link in an application or software, such as clicking on a link in Discord window, or from a PDF, or Word, Notepad)++, etc, in the past I could click on such links and it would open up my browser to that webpage, normal behavior. Now when I click on such links, my browser won't open that webpage. It does nothing. This is the case for any application or software on my computer. How would I troubleshoot this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 7 Home Premium
i7-4790K
16 gigs ram
gtx 760 4GB superclocked edition
primary browser is firefox

Last edited:
I ran into the same problem recently with a FireFox browser. The only way I got it to work was to use Internet Explorer. I don't think it's the browser but the way the web page is coded on the web server. I would click on an "Add to cart" button and it wouldn't do anything. I could navigate around the web site but that was all.

If you really need it, try Internet Explorer.

May 13, 2019
I ran into the same problem recently with a FireFox browser. The only way I got it to work was to use Internet Explorer. I don't think it's the browser but the way the web page is coded on the web server. I would click on an "Add to cart" button and it wouldn't do anything. I could navigate around the web site but that was all.

If you really need it, try Internet Explorer.
I'm not certain, but I don't believe the problem should be the browser I use. I can't open any url link that I click on from any application or software outside of my browser window. A better example would be clicking on a link from Notepad++, or a PDF document. I get no prompt to open up said URL in a browser, and no browser opens the link.

I'm not certain, but I don't believe the problem should be the browser I use. I can't open any url link that I click on from any application or software outside of my browser window. A better example would be clicking on a link from Notepad++, or a PDF document. I get no prompt to open up said URL in a browser, and no browser opens the link.
That sounds like a problem with file associations. Check your file associations for ".htm", ".html", etc.