Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router connection troubles

I have the BEFW11S4 Linksys Wireless Router with one computer wired to
it and another trying to access it through its wireless capabilities.
The cable modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router. When the
Linksys setup utility was installed on the laptop [the wireless
machine], configured, and restarted, it appeared as if it connected
just fine. It said that it had a good signal and had connected to the
right SSID and everything. However, it cannot actually see the router
[192.168.1.1] and it cannot get an IP address. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

On 24 Jul 2004 19:06:43 -0700, matthewj.wilson@gmail.com wrote:

>I have the BEFW11S4 Linksys Wireless Router with one computer wired to
>it and another trying to access it through its wireless capabilities.
>The cable modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router. When the
>Linksys setup utility was installed on the laptop [the wireless
>machine], configured, and restarted, it appeared as if it connected
>just fine. It said that it had a good signal and had connected to the
>right SSID and everything. However, it cannot actually see the router
>[192.168.1.1] and it cannot get an IP address. Does anyone have any
>suggestions?

If you are using WinXP, you can disable your wired LAN connection.

See if your "obtain IP address automatically" is checked or not. (For
wired connection,.)

For wireless, make sure that the "let windows manage my wireless
connections for me." is checked.

I am not really understanding what your problem is though. You cant
access the router via wireless? or wired?

On 24 Jul 2004 19:41:04 -0700, "matthewj.wilson@gmail.com"
<matthewj.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

>Nevermind. By some stroke of luck, the problem has been fixed.

It wasn't luck. Your computah finally decided to ask the BEFW11S4 for
an IP address. The usual ritual is to manually run from a CMD window:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
It will continue to work because Windoze stores this IP address and
gateway address until the DHCP lease time expires. It will also
continue to ask for the same IP address. If you go to a coffee shop
hotspot and Windoze keeps trying to use the old IP address from home,
run the above two commands and that should kick start it.

Also, the DHCP server in the BEFW11S4 version 4 had some problems with
earlier firmware.
http://www.linksys.com/download/vertxt/BEFW11S4_v15014_ver.txt
You may wanna determine which BEFW11S4 mutation you own and try the
latest firmware.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

matthewj.wilson@gmail.com wrote in news:cdv4jj
$3cc@odah37.prod.google.com:

> I have the BEFW11S4 Linksys Wireless Router with one computer wired to
> it and another trying to access it through its wireless capabilities.
> The cable modem is plugged into the WAN port on the router. When the
> Linksys setup utility was installed on the laptop [the wireless
> machine], configured, and restarted, it appeared as if it connected
> just fine. It said that it had a good signal and had connected to the
> right SSID and everything. However, it cannot actually see the router
> [192.168.1.1] and it cannot get an IP address. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?

Does the laptop have a wired cnnection? What happens if you use the wired
connection? Can you access the router Admin screens and get an IP? You do
that to see if the TCP/IP Stack has been hosed and needs to be reset on
the machine to get an IP before you continue with your trouble shooting.

What O/S?

Duane :)

Duane :)