Linksys e2500 to support 200 mbps internet

danielidea

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
So I am going to get TimeWarner's 200 mbps internet and I have e2500 wifi router right now. This router has 10/100 WAN port but has N wifi. Does this mean I can only use 100 mbps of the internet? If yes, why are they saying wifi will support 300 + 300 mbps of speed in their spec? Is this just for when transferring file via wifi in local computers (LAN)? If I want to use all 200 mbps, Do I need to get wifi router with gigabit WAN port?

Solution
You are exactly correct you need a different router.

The big lie is that wireless comes even close to the 300 or 450 or whatever number they say. Most these routers get well under 100m on wireless and that is only a single machine using wireless when you have multiple competing is even worse. These numbers are magic marketing numbers that you can only get in controlled lab installations.

The 802.11ac routers of course claim 1.3g which also is marketing fluff. These though can get over 100m in real world installs but again multiple machines greatly degrade this because they interfere with each other.

So the only way you have any chance of using a 200m internet connection from a wireless connection is to use 802.11ac routers and...
You are exactly correct you need a different router.

The big lie is that wireless comes even close to the 300 or 450 or whatever number they say. Most these routers get well under 100m on wireless and that is only a single machine using wireless when you have multiple competing is even worse. These numbers are magic marketing numbers that you can only get in controlled lab installations.

The 802.11ac routers of course claim 1.3g which also is marketing fluff. These though can get over 100m in real world installs but again multiple machines greatly degrade this because they interfere with each other.

So the only way you have any chance of using a 200m internet connection from a wireless connection is to use 802.11ac routers and you end device must also support it.

Be careful to not get sucked into ...have to have a bigger number.... It is almost impossible to use even 100m internet connection much less 200m. It does not make things run noticeable faster doing normal stuff. Once you get above say 10m any delays are due to stuff in the internet not your connection. Even high def movies are only 4-6m/sec so you would have to multiple people watching multiple movies in your house to even exceed a 10m connection.

Pretty much the only times you would see a advantage to a very large internet connection is when you download a huge game and the game company actually allow you to download at high rates. How often do you do this and is it worth the extra expense of a bigger internet.

Solution