[SOLVED] LINKSYS MAX STREAM AC3000

SnoopyDog

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013
Hello, I have recently purchased a LINKSYS MAX STREAM AC3000 from Best Buy last week. I have installed it and everything went pretty well. The next few days, my family have been complaining about the lost of connection at the far end of the house. This router is placed in my room and my family uses their tablets in the family room which is on the other side of the house. We do not use a WIFI Extender or Booster since this router was advertised to give coverage up to 3,000 sq ft. My brother couldn't access Netflix on his phone in the family room. My niece and nephew were having problems being disconnected from Roblox. Following error codes from Roblox was 277, 529. As for code 277, I have to port forward the Roblox ports on the router. It only allows me to add a port forward on one device private IP address but not all. I tried everything using the Linksys App and used the Channel Finder that will find and improve performance to expand the WiFi signals. And even updated the firmware when I installed the WiFi. Here are the make and models of all connective devices.

Router: Make: Linksys Model: MR9000
Cable Modem: Make: Arris Model: TG1672
ISP: Spectrum | WiFi Speed: DL - 234 Mbps / UL - 12 Mbps | Connection: Broadband Cable
Kids Tablets are Kindle Fire 8 with Android Nougat OS
Devices connected to WiFi: 11 (The Router was advertised to handle 25 devices)

Any more questions or anything, let me know. I look forward to hear from you all.

Regards,

Ryan

Solution
There is no magic device that solves coverage issues. All router manufacture make all kinds of claims about coverage. Modern routers all transmit near the legal maximum so they more or less get the same converge.

In most cases it is not the router that is the cause of the problem. Many end devices to save power or for other reasons do not transmit at full power. So the signal can get to the end device but the end device can not send it back.

It is your house that likely the cause which is why nobody gets the same results. The silly router manufactures think everyone lives in a big open warehouse with no walls when they state their coverage numbers.

Not much you can do other than relocate the router if possible. You do...
There is no magic device that solves coverage issues. All router manufacture make all kinds of claims about coverage. Modern routers all transmit near the legal maximum so they more or less get the same converge.

In most cases it is not the router that is the cause of the problem. Many end devices to save power or for other reasons do not transmit at full power. So the signal can get to the end device but the end device can not send it back.

It is your house that likely the cause which is why nobody gets the same results. The silly router manufactures think everyone lives in a big open warehouse with no walls when they state their coverage numbers.

Not much you can do other than relocate the router if possible. You do not want to use any form of repeater though. If you can not get coverage consider a AP attached via ethernet cable or powerline networks that have a AP in the remote end.

Solution

SnoopyDog

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013
It might support 3000sqft if it is in the center. You have it at one end. There is no magic other than adding more WIFI sources or moving your current router to the center.

Thank you for your reply. This is what I am suspecting cuz I have too many walls. My bedroom and the hallway walls. I am thinking of getting a wifi extender but I do not want the Linksys Velops, it is like pricey. Do you have any recommendation that is compatible to this Linksys MR9000 router?

Regards,

Ryan

SnoopyDog

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013

Not much you can do other than relocate the router if possible. You do not want to use any form of repeater though. If you can not get coverage consider a AP attached via ethernet cable or powerline networks that have a AP in the remote end.

Thank you for your response. I am suspecting my house is causing the weak signals. Can I ask why I cannot use any form of repeater? Is that the same as Wifi Booster or Extender? What type of AP do you recommend for this Linksys MR9000 Router?

Thanks,

Ryan

Thank you for your response. I am suspecting my house is causing the weak signals. Can I ask why I cannot use any form of repeater? Is that the same as Wifi Booster or Extender? What type of AP do you recommend for this Linksys MR9000 Router?

Thanks,

Ryan
An AP is fine if you have an ethernet cable from your router location to the other side of the house. If you do not get a pair of Powerline adapters. Wifi repeaters are always a last resort, by the very nature of wifi they hurt your performance.

SnoopyDog

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2013
Setup is brand specific. Generally, you connect it to your primary router it will DHCP and you use a vendor specific tool or browser to configure.

Ok thanks. I will probably try and figure it out. My old router is a Linksys E3000, pretty old. I will make a post on Linksys Support and see what are the configuration to make it as an Access Point.