Linksys Now Shipping WRT1900AC Wireless AC Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This router pays tribute to the classic WRT54G.

Haha, no it doesn't. Classic WRT54G is a highly affordable device loved for its ability to run alternative firmware such as DD-WRT. This new thing, now don't get me wrong, it's awesome hardware, but by no means affordable. And with Linksys now owned by Belkin, I won't touch their hardware now. I'd much rather get same-priced routers from Asus.

john675

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
What's the advantage of the router compared to the Asus RT68 or the Netgear Nighthawk which are priced $80 less and can both run dd-wrt?

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
This router pays tribute to the classic WRT54G.

Haha, no it doesn't. Classic WRT54G is a highly affordable device loved for its ability to run alternative firmware such as DD-WRT. This new thing, now don't get me wrong, it's awesome hardware, but by no means affordable. And with Linksys now owned by Belkin, I won't touch their hardware now. I'd much rather get same-priced routers from Asus.

Retro or pay tribute of a product doesn't need to align with its original price. Take VW Beetle and Mini Cooper for examples, both were dirt cheap car in original version. Nowadays Mini Cooper is an over priced premium compact car.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Note that so far Belkin hasn't yet produced acceptable patches for openWRT to actually run on this thing yet. So you would be getting their stock proprietary firmware until they get their crap in order. They are also trying to stick binary blob drivers in their commits...

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
What's the advantage of the router compared to the Asus RT68 or the Netgear Nighthawk which are priced $80 less and can both run dd-wrt?

Thanks for the references from Asus and Netgear. I'm in the market for an upgrade and was highly considering the nostalgic factor of the new WRT, but was turned off by the fact that Belkin owns them now. I think I'll go with the Nighthawk, I'm already a fan of their other products and they use to be great back in the day for switches/routers.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I thought the original price on this thing was going to be like 199-250... Those prices where pretty darn high anyway. At 279.99 I think I would just stick with the proven Asus model's.

Status
Not open for further replies.