Linksys router draining Iphone 5s battery

fatbaby55

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I recently installed the Linksys 1900 max stream router, EZ7500. After connecting my Iphone 5s to the wireless it started draining the battery drastically. I have the update of 11.04 IOS but it has been installed for quite some time now and I didn't notice any battery drain then.
I can turn off the wireless and the battery stays charged. I can turn the wireless on and leave the house and the battery stays charged even then. Only when I connect to my home wireless does it drain in very quickly.
If anyone can help me solve this problem I would appreciate it.
Wanda

Solution
This is the problem with the new fancy GUI based routers, it is almost impossible to describe the screens you need pictures. If it was commands I could give you a list of commands.

This is a read the manual situation since they have pictures. To block traffic you should be able to put in a rule that matches the mac or IP address of the phone and then set it to block all traffic. The details vary a lot between routers.

Maybe it would be simpler to just unplug the internet cable going into the router some night. That way the phone could connect to the router but the internet would be down.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
So something is running in the background when you are connected to WiFi (at least at home).
Any way to test this at a friends house, connect to their WiFi and see if it still drains?
The next step is to try and figure out what is running while on WiFi only.

You can try this that worked for someone on another forum: turn off the Apple analytics in Settings -> Privacy -> Analytics turn all of them off

Maybe your router has a log of what sites the phone is using. You could also try to block all traffic to your phone in the router. That way it would have a wifi connection but could not actually talk to anything. It would quickly show if it is just connecting the wifi causing the issue or if the phone is actually using the wifi when you don't think it is. If it is purely having the radio on and connected it will eat the battery even if there is no internet access.

fatbaby55

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Can you explain how I would block all traffic to my phone in the router? I will go into the settings and look when it is connected. Also will have to look and see how to see what my phone is using. I didn't know the router had a log of those things or where to find it.
I am not an expert on the router settings nor am I a beginner just kinda in between so Ill have to check it out.

This is the problem with the new fancy GUI based routers, it is almost impossible to describe the screens you need pictures. If it was commands I could give you a list of commands.

This is a read the manual situation since they have pictures. To block traffic you should be able to put in a rule that matches the mac or IP address of the phone and then set it to block all traffic. The details vary a lot between routers.

Maybe it would be simpler to just unplug the internet cable going into the router some night. That way the phone could connect to the router but the internet would be down.

Solution