Linksys Router Scheduled Reset

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi all. I have a WRT54G router and I occasionally find myself needing to
perform a reset or power off/on when things get "weird" with the device
like the signal all of a sudden goes away. Was wondering if anyone knew
of a program I could install to perform a reset on the device, say at 2
in the morning or something like that.

TP

"Tony" <askme@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have a WRT54G router and I occasionally find myself needing to
> perform a reset or power off/on when things get "weird" with the device
> like the signal all of a sudden goes away. Was wondering if anyone knew of
> a program I could install to perform a reset on the device, say at 2 in
> the morning or something like that.

a digital mains timer socket? costs a few quid, can set it to turn off one
minute and on the next

> TP

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Iain Dingsdale wrote:

> "Tony" <askme@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all. I have a WRT54G router and I occasionally find myself needing to
>>perform a reset or power off/on when things get "weird" with the device
>>like the signal all of a sudden goes away. Was wondering if anyone knew of
>>a program I could install to perform a reset on the device, say at 2 in
>>the morning or something like that.
>

> a digital mains timer socket? costs a few quid, can set it to turn off one
> minute and on the next
>

>>TP

Hmmm. If your suggesting a timer to cut the power to the unit I guess
that would work. I was looking for a software solution but it sure is
worth a try since I happen to have a timer I use for a lamp lying around.

TP

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:45:56 -0400, Tony <askme@nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi all. I have a WRT54G router and I occasionally find myself needing to
>perform a reset or power off/on when things get "weird" with the device
>like the signal all of a sudden goes away. Was wondering if anyone knew
>of a program I could install to perform a reset on the device, say at 2
>in the morning or something like that.

Just about any scripting tool will work if you don't mind leaving a
computah turned on all night to do the deed. I still use the Windoze
3.1 keyboard macro tool to automate such things. The WRT54G has a
command line (via telnet) that could be scripted with a text based
tool. With the various customized firmware mutations for the WRT54G,
some of them may have "cron" or "at" commands to run a script at a
specific time.

However, it's not clear what problem you are trying to solve. Is the
router hanging in the middle of the night? Is the router inaccessible
so that it must be done remotely? What inspired the question?
Methinks you would be best served to find out what is causeing router
go get "weird". Overheating? Some kind of attack?

Would a power cycle suffice (or be better)? If so, consider a cheap
Radio Shack timer that is usually used to turn lights on and off.
That could be set to power cycle the router every night at 2AM. There
are also various remote control light switches (and garage door
openers) that could be convinced to control the router power.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>
>> "Tony" <askme@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all. I have a WRT54G router and I occasionally find myself needing to
>>>perform a reset or power off/on when things get "weird" with the device
>>>like the signal all of a sudden goes away. Was wondering if anyone knew
>>>of a program I could install to perform a reset on the device, say at 2
>>>in the morning or something like that.
>>

>> a digital mains timer socket? costs a few quid, can set it to turn off
>> one minute and on the next
>>

>>>TP
>>

> Hmmm. If your suggesting a timer to cut the power to the unit I guess that
> would work. I was looking for a software solution but it sure is worth a
> try since I happen to have a timer I use for a lamp lying around.

seems much simpler than a software solution. for any software solution you'd
need to have at least one pc running when you want it reset

> TP

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> "Tony" <askme@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>Iain Dingsdale wrote:
>>

>>>"Tony" <askme@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>>a digital mains timer socket? costs a few quid, can set it to turn off
>>>one minute and on the next

>>Hmmm. If your suggesting a timer to cut the power to the unit I guess that
>>would work. I was looking for a software solution but it sure is worth a
>>try since I happen to have a timer I use for a lamp lying around.
>

> seems much simpler than a software solution. for any software solution you'd
> need to have at least one pc running when you want it reset
>

>>TP

I was thinking of something on the router itself..maybe a cron job (I
assume I'll be using sveasoft or some other firmware)

TP

Tony <askme@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi all. I have a WRT54G router and I occasionally find myself needing to
> perform a reset or power off/on when things get "weird" with the device
> like the signal all of a sudden goes away. Was wondering if anyone knew
> of a program I could install to perform a reset on the device, say at 2
> in the morning or something like that.

I was using "lynx", a text-based browser, in a script to retrieve logs from
my cable modem. I vaguely recall using it to reset a router from a command
line, but I can't remember the details.

--
---