[SOLVED] Linksys SE3024 Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
So this afternoon the network in my office went down. When i get to the server closet everything seemed OK. When i bring up the network on the server all that was there was the 2 virtual drives and the 1 host.

When i start to look a little close i noticed that 1 of our switched a linksys Se3024 which is 24ports up to 1gps has no port lights on not blinking not solid. The only light on the switch is a blue flashing system light . I tried a few resets but no changes.
The other switch which is an identical linksys SE3024 had a solid blue system light and the normal flashing green or flashing orange port lights.

I order to get people back to work and the network up and running i pulled the SE3024 with the blinking system light and replaced it with a older smaller netgear switch. That fixed the issue and everything has been OK so far.
I tried help desk from linksys but they had no answers and wanted to Run through some steps and try to diagnose.
Unfortunately the switch had already been removed and replaced. They could not provide any documentation to help me trouble shoot or even give me the most likely reason i would have a flashing blue system light.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I think its just a switch that suddenly died. So i will replace the switch.
No one has access to the server closet. The server and other equipment are all on APS with surge protection.
Ok thanks in advance for any info even if its just the reasons for a flashing bllue system light.

Thanks again

Navi

Solution
Not sure if it also applies to their switches. One article I came across says it means the firmware is corrupt. At least on a router with a blinking power light.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=133192

At any rate the switch failed. It's a cheap switch and a similar replacement is cheap. Even if you could get it working again. It's not worth the time and hassle.

Considering all the people and equipment hooked to a sub $200 24Port switch. Just a few minutes downtime probably costs the company more than it is worth.
Not sure if it also applies to their switches. One article I came across says it means the firmware is corrupt. At least on a router with a blinking power light.
https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=133192

At any rate the switch failed. It's a cheap switch and a similar replacement is cheap. Even if you could get it working again. It's not worth the time and hassle.

Considering all the people and equipment hooked to a sub $200 24Port switch. Just a few minutes downtime probably costs the company more than it is worth.

Solution

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
I have all ready replaced the switch. I just don't want it to be a short or power surge or something else I may be missing. I don't want it to happen while I'm in the field or if I didn't have another switch on hand. Its the downtime that is my concern. That's the only reason I'm trying to figure out what caused this to happen or if this was just a switch at the end of its life cycle dying.

I assume you meant APC surge. APC makes quality equipment. You can always hook up a wattman and check the supplied voltage periodically. If there are issues you can use a line conditioner or put the equipment on an online UPS. Online UPS are the best for surge protection as they always run off the battery. Which provides a buffer from outside power. They're a good buy for business anyways. Since many are rack mountable and may be expanded with battery modules.

If this is the first time it has happened in a long time. I'd suspect it was just equipment failure. It happens, I've replaced plenty of failed network equipment. It is a cheap switch after all. I expect five to seven years out of networking equipment. After that you're just lucky.

naviseyer

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
So far i havent had any issue with the replacement switch. I did not make any changes at all just a even swap out. I have 1 more spare switch so i will leave it be if i run into the issue again i will take the time to figure out whats causing the switch to go.

Thanks for all the help

Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.