Linksys to linksys wireless

satyakrishna

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2011
Hello,

I am having an internet connection with cisco wrtg series home -wireless router.I purchahsed an linksys E1000 router to extend my network to another building.i connected with an fiber cable.I connected the other end of cable to new linksys E1000 router.Communication link is shwing ok.What are the configuration i have to do in new router to get wireless internet over there.

help me to find solution

Av4fun2011

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
This is a reply EMERALD uses for several question on how to do this, including me! Please let me know how it works. AV4FUN2011

go Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

connect the router to be converted only to a computer via network cable and log in

setup the wireless security

disable the DHCP and change the LAN IP to match the gateway IP but ending in .253

finally connect one of the four LAN ports of the AP to the main router, do NOT use the WAN port.

I'm glad Emerald uses that - shows some of the stuff I write comes in useful. :D

What the OP needs to do here is to set up the new router as an Access Point so that it can be used as a Repeater. Beyond that and part from possible DHCP issues, no further configuration is necessary although sometimes, changing the channel so it differs from the main router's channel might be helpful.

Av4fun2011

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I want to do this also and have bought another Linksys dual-band router

So, to be clear for me:
-Get a second dual band router and hardwire it to the main router upstairs.
-I would like to use the 5GHz or 2.4GHz from the new AP. Sounds possible?
-login to my new router and disable DHCP and change LAN IP ending in .253
-after connecting the new AP to my Main router I should have 2 channels of wireless also emitting from downstairs?

I have a Linksys e4200. Will any dual band work for the 2nd AP?
Thank you