LinkSys WPC54G Stopped getting DHCP address from WRT54G af..

I installed XP SP2 on my Sony Vayo PCG-FX702.
I use a LinkSys WPC54G with a WRT54G with all the latest firmware.
After the SP2 update, the WLAN Link stopped functioning
It sees the WLAN full signal and uses WPA to access the link
Disabling WPA and use all wide open did not solve the matter

Rolling back to driver 3.30.15.0 did not solve the matter.
Digging in the linksys forum and Technet did not gave any possible solution,
but I
might have overlooked something

Other posts in the forum seems to confirm that WLAN is a problem in some
configurations.

Any clues?

Marcel

You may have done this already, but try either rebooting the entire router
or reseting your router's DHCP settings. I ran into the same thing on my
other laptop and found the router would hang up every couple of days and
stop providing new IP addresses. Finally trashed the old router and got a
new one.

Also, check some of the posts that talk about rebuilding/reinstalling your
TCP/IP stack in this forum

"Marcel Bernards" <Marcel.Says@spam.no> wrote in message
>I installed XP SP2 on my Sony Vayo PCG-FX702.
> I use a LinkSys WPC54G with a WRT54G with all the latest firmware.
> After the SP2 update, the WLAN Link stopped functioning
> It sees the WLAN full signal and uses WPA to access the link
> Disabling WPA and use all wide open did not solve the matter
>
> Rolling back to driver 3.30.15.0 did not solve the matter.
> Digging in the linksys forum and Technet did not gave any possible
> solution, but I
> might have overlooked something
>
> Other posts in the forum seems to confirm that WLAN is a problem in some
> configurations.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Marcel

At work we had problems with instabilities on lan connections on a W2K
Laptop
This Cisco VPN Client contains an embedded (AtGuard) firewall which barfed
errors in the eventlog
After deletion all things started to work again.

I've got the same VPN stuff (4.03D VPN client) on my laptop and I spotted
the same errors in the eventlog
as on the w2k laptop at work. So I removed the Cisco VPN stuff and reapplied
XP SP2 again.

Guess what: IT WORKED!!!

That (*&^%^(& Cisco stuff junked my WPC54G WLAN connection
Soooo, be carefull with extra network addon stuff which sneaks in extra
firewalls drivers.

Happy that it works now.

Greetings

Marcel

Lance

My Cisco 3000 VPN v4.03(rel) client uses Zonelabs firewall components
(vsutil.dll, vsdatant.sys, etc). I've found a complete manual uninstall
is required to really clean out everything Cisco installs. And then a
TCPIP reset on top of that to return my system to normal.

After that, then I can reinstall Cisco and it works exactly as
advertised (VPN session, Windows SP2 firewall up and local network all
working at once!)

I use Add/Remove Programs and then follow these directions to clean up
what the uninstaller left behind, reset the TCPIP stack and open up a
port in the firewall:

***********************
Cisco - How to Manually Uninstall the Cisco VPN Client 3.5 and Later for
Windows 2000
<http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/471/vpn3K_uninstall.html#related>
***********************
Uninstall ZoneAlarm
<http://nh2.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html>
***********************
Cisco VPN and XP sP2 Firewall
<http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.1dd62b2d/0#selected_message>
***********************
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 299357
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357&Product=winxp>
***********************

Marcel Bernards said the following on 9/10/2004 1:29 PM:

> At work we had problems with instabilities on lan connections on a
> W2K Laptop This Cisco VPN Client contains an embedded (AtGuard)
> firewall which barfed errors in the eventlog After deletion all
> things started to work again.
>
> I've got the same VPN stuff (4.03D VPN client) on my laptop and I
> spotted the same errors in the eventlog as on the w2k laptop at work.
> So I removed the Cisco VPN stuff and reapplied XP SP2 again.
>
> Guess what: IT WORKED!!!
>
> That (*&^%^(& Cisco stuff junked my WPC54G WLAN connection Soooo, be
> carefull with extra network addon stuff which sneaks in extra
> firewalls drivers.
>
> Happy that it works now.
>
> Greetings
>
> Marcel

Thanx for posting the links, Lance
So it was ZoneLabs eating up my WLAN.

Good info.

I'll try to reinstall the Cisco VPN stuff again to try it I can get a
connection again
to work.

Marcel

TRENDING THREADS