Linksys WPS54GU2 Print Server Client Setup

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

I would like to setup an XP Thinkpad T30 wireless client to print to a
printer on my Linksys Wireless-G LAN that is configured via a Linksys
WPS54Gu2 Print Server.

It is a business machine and the user profile does not have the rights to
install the print server software. Is there a way to setup an IP printer
port to the printer? I do not know what the \\server\printer name would be.
I tried the IP address and name of the print server, but this did not work.
I can ping the print server IP from the client machine. What would be the
default \\server\printer to configure this, and is it possible w/o the s/w?

"Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I would like to setup an XP Thinkpad T30 wireless client to print to a
> printer on my Linksys Wireless-G LAN that is configured via a Linksys
> WPS54Gu2 Print Server.
>
> It is a business machine and the user profile does not have the rights to
> install the print server software. Is there a way to setup an IP printer
> port to the printer? I do not know what the \\server\printer name would
be.
> I tried the IP address and name of the print server, but this did not
work.
> I can ping the print server IP from the client machine. What would be the
> default \\server\printer to configure this, and is it possible w/o the
s/w?

Since you are able to PING the print server from the client, this is not a
wireless problem.

After starting the Add Printer Wizard, the trick is to select Local Printer
Attached to This Computer. This is counter-intuitive, but you're not
connecting to the printer using MICROSOFT Networking, so MS doesn't consider
this to be a network printer. Don't select Automatically Detect with Plug
and Play.

On the Select a Printer Port screen, choose Create a New Port. Type of Port
= Standard TCP/IP Port.

Be sure that the printer server and the printer are ready before proceeding.
For Printer Name or IP Address enter the print server's IP address. The
protocol is LPR. You'll need to get the Queue Name from the print server
documentation. It's probably "lp" (that's a lower-case el, not a capital
eye).

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

I can't add a local TCPIP port. I do not have rights to do that on the
machine and the option is greyed out. I only have the ability to connect to
a network printer.