Linksys WRT54G - SMA or TNC connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does Linksys use any sort of naming convention to determine which of the
aforementioned connectors they use for their antenna connections on the
WRT54G? I need to order a router and hi-gain antennas, but it seems there's
no way of knowing -- aside from having the router in hand -- which
connectors it ships with. Thanks.

Robert

Oops...disregard. Linksys does in fact specify which antenna work with which
routers.

"rjsalvi" <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote in message
> Does Linksys use any sort of naming convention to determine which of the
> aforementioned connectors they use for their antenna connections on the
> WRT54G? I need to order a router and hi-gain antennas, but it seems
there's
> no way of knowing -- aside from having the router in hand -- which
> connectors it ships with. Thanks.
>
> Robert

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:06:24 GMT, "rjsalvi"
<rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote:

>Does Linksys use any sort of naming convention to determine which of the
>aforementioned connectors they use for their antenna connections on the
>WRT54G? I need to order a router and hi-gain antennas, but it seems there's
>no way of knowing -- aside from having the router in hand -- which
>connectors it ships with. Thanks.

Linksys uses R-TNC (reverse polarity TNC) connectors.
DLink uses R-SMA (reverse polarity SMA) connectors.

The reason for the odd connectors is that the FCC decided to
"discourage" users from attaching external antennas and demanded that
manufacturers use weird and proprietary connectors.

Most (not all) large antennas use Type-N connectors.
The smaller antennas tend to use SMA and TNC.
A few smaller antennas have MCX or other connectors designed to
interface directly with a PCMCIA card at the end of coax pigtails.

See:
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/connectors.php
for photos of typical connectors found in wireless.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 04:06:24 GMT, "rjsalvi"
> <rjsalvi@nospamambianceacoustics.com> wrote:
>
> >Does Linksys use any sort of naming convention to determine which of the
> >aforementioned connectors they use for their antenna connections on the
> >WRT54G? I need to order a router and hi-gain antennas, but it seems
there's
> >no way of knowing -- aside from having the router in hand -- which
> >connectors it ships with. Thanks.
>
> Linksys uses R-TNC (reverse polarity TNC) connectors.
> DLink uses R-SMA (reverse polarity SMA) connectors.
>
> The reason for the odd connectors is that the FCC decided to
> "discourage" users from attaching external antennas and demanded that
> manufacturers use weird and proprietary connectors.
>
> Most (not all) large antennas use Type-N connectors.
> The smaller antennas tend to use SMA and TNC.
> A few smaller antennas have MCX or other connectors designed to
> interface directly with a PCMCIA card at the end of coax pigtails.
>
> See:
> http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/connectors.php
> for photos of typical connectors found in wireless.

Thanks Jeff.

Robert

However, antenna makers such as Hawking Technology provide for
connector adaptors/convertors that allow a user to connect high-gain
antennas to different types of wireless devices. Thus, what was
accomplished by the FCC other than to add a little bit to
manufacturing costs that is passed on to users. Other than additional
manufacturing costs, the end result is the same as if there were a
universal connector.

John

John Mason <jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote:
> However, antenna makers such as Hawking Technology provide for
> connector adaptors/convertors that allow a user to connect high-gain
> antennas to different types of wireless devices. Thus, what was
> accomplished by the FCC other than to add a little bit to
> manufacturing costs that is passed on to users. Other than additional
> manufacturing costs, the end result is the same as if there were a
> universal connector.

The security through obscurity worked about as well here as it does in any
other environment.

Does Hawking really have an array of adapters? I don't see that. I see
that they come with one connector and one adapter, giving you the broad
coverage of two types. They mutter something about "most", but it's two.

http://www.pacwireless.com/products/accessories.shtml
has some "adapters" like the old days. A little chunk of metal.
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/cable_radio_pigtails_list.php
has some pigtails. I sent them a scanned image because I couldn't figure
out what I had, and they sold me the right cable. They also have closeup
views of everything, so you should be able to figure it out.
http://www.fab-corp.com/ has pigtails as well.

---

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:46:59 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXLinks.usenet.us.com wrote:

>The security through obscurity worked about as well here as it does in any
>other environment.

When the FCC discovered that users were attaching "foreign" devices to
their FCC type accepted equipment, they immediately proposed a rule
that required permanently affixed, non-removeable antennas, or totally
proprietary, not available to the great unwashed masses, types of
connectors. According the letter of the rules-n-regs, a wireless
system must be type accepted as a complete system, which includes
radio, antenna, coax, amplifier, whatever. Interchangeable components
are not acceptable. After a very short review process, the FCC caved
in to the obvious problem that goofy connectors would seriously impact
the cost of the products. This is what happens when attorneys make
the FCC rules instead of engineers.

A better assortement of adapters:
http://www.sky2web.net/adapters.html
which are MUCH cheaper than pigtails, but not as flexible (bendable).

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> A better assortement of adapters:
> http://www.sky2web.net/adapters.html
> which are MUCH cheaper than pigtails, but not as flexible (bendable).

Six?
http://www.pacwireless.com/products/accessories.shtml
that I mentioned has ten. Better? dunno.
Actually, that points to http://www.rangeextender.com/adapters.html when
you click on the "buy" button.

I think I'd be inclined to add some additional support to an adapter taking
a panel mount rp-sma to N. That adapter seems like it would be heavier
on its own than the rp-sma could tolerate supporting, not counting the
cable that one might have on the N connector.

--
---

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:15:28 +0000 (UTC),
dold@XReXXLinks.usenet.us.com wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>> A better assortement of adapters:
>> http://www.sky2web.net/adapters.html
>> which are MUCH cheaper than pigtails, but not as flexible (bendable).

>Six?
>http://www.pacwireless.com/products/accessories.shtml
>that I mentioned has ten. Better? dunno.
>Actually, that points to http://www.rangeextender.com/adapters.html when
>you click on the "buy" button.

Ooooh. Cheaper adapters. Thanks.

There are well more than 6 adapters in my war chest. The box has
about 15 lbs of assorted adapters and connectors for various nefarious
purposes. Every time I go on an install (or ham radio field day), a
large number of adapters mysteriously evaporate. It's a good idea to
have a large collection. The 6 adapters do not cover everything. I
just ran into a reverse-N connector today. I'd never seen one of
those, and of course, had no adapter. In general, I try to bring
everything to an ordinary N-connector and then adapt from there. It's
often easier to use two adapters than to stock every possible
combination just to be able to use one adapter.

>I think I'd be inclined to add some additional support to an adapter taking
>a panel mount rp-sma to N. That adapter seems like it would be heavier
>on its own than the rp-sma could tolerate supporting, not counting the
>cable that one might have on the N connector.

Maybe. The last SMA to N adapter I tried to destroy resulted in the
SMA panel mount connector ripping out of the plastic panel. The
adapter survived. Methinks reinforcing the panel with a very big
washer might be a better idea.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us