Linksys WRT54G Wireless Security page doesn't function...

All right, I just bought and installed this router this morning. I have
desktop PC wired into the router and a laptop with wireless access.
Both machines talk to the router and use the internet with no problem.
But when I go into the router web page and try to set up wireless
security the page doesn't work. It gies me a list of choices (WEP, WPA,
etc.) but choosing one does absolutely nothing. And the page setting
won't save so every time I come back to that particular page it is set
back to 'disabled'. I'm using firmware version v2.02.7. I must have
messed up somewhere but nothing I try has any effect on what the
wireless security page does, which is nothing.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-- Bob

Are you sure this is not caused by your browser? I've seen this happen
before, it it was my browser doing it. Clear your browser cache, and make
sure it's not set to never check for newer versions of stored pages. Try a
different browser and see if that makes a difference.

"Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> All right, I just bought and installed this router this morning. I have
> desktop PC wired into the router and a laptop with wireless access.
> Both machines talk to the router and use the internet with no problem.
> But when I go into the router web page and try to set up wireless
> security the page doesn't work. It gies me a list of choices (WEP, WPA,
> etc.) but choosing one does absolutely nothing. And the page setting
> won't save so every time I come back to that particular page it is set
> back to 'disabled'. I'm using firmware version v2.02.7. I must have
> messed up somewhere but nothing I try has any effect on what the
> wireless security page does, which is nothing.
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -- Bob

Lance

You're due for a firmware update to 2.04.4 anyway. Reflash and see if
that fixes it.

Don't forget to click on the "Save Settings" button when you set up
wireless security. That caught me a couple times when setting up my WRT54GS.

Lance
*****

Odd Bob thought carefully and wrote on 10/9/2004 12:07 PM:
> All right, I just bought and installed this router this morning. I have
> desktop PC wired into the router and a laptop with wireless access.
> Both machines talk to the router and use the internet with no problem.
> But when I go into the router web page and try to set up wireless
> security the page doesn't work. It gies me a list of choices (WEP, WPA,
> etc.) but choosing one does absolutely nothing. And the page setting
> won't save so every time I come back to that particular page it is set
> back to 'disabled'. I'm using firmware version v2.02.7. I must have
> messed up somewhere but nothing I try has any effect on what the
> wireless security page does, which is nothing.
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -- Bob

Lance

You're due for a firmware update to 2.04.4 anyway. Reflash and see if
that fixes it.

Don't forget to click on the "Save Settings" button when you set up
wireless security. That caught me a couple times when setting up my WRT54GS.

Lance
*****

Odd Bob thought carefully and wrote on 10/9/2004 12:07 PM:
> All right, I just bought and installed this router this morning. I have
> desktop PC wired into the router and a laptop with wireless access.
> Both machines talk to the router and use the internet with no problem.
> But when I go into the router web page and try to set up wireless
> security the page doesn't work. It gies me a list of choices (WEP, WPA,
> etc.) but choosing one does absolutely nothing. And the page setting
> won't save so every time I come back to that particular page it is set
> back to 'disabled'. I'm using firmware version v2.02.7. I must have
> messed up somewhere but nothing I try has any effect on what the
> wireless security page does, which is nothing.
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -- Bob

In addition to selecting a security choice, you must enter a security key.
Suggest you talke a look at the manual.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> All right, I just bought and installed this router this morning. I have
> desktop PC wired into the router and a laptop with wireless access.
> Both machines talk to the router and use the internet with no problem.
> But when I go into the router web page and try to set up wireless
> security the page doesn't work. It gies me a list of choices (WEP, WPA,
> etc.) but choosing one does absolutely nothing. And the page setting
> won't save so every time I come back to that particular page it is set
> back to 'disabled'. I'm using firmware version v2.02.7. I must have
> messed up somewhere but nothing I try has any effect on what the
> wireless security page does, which is nothing.
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
>
> -- Bob

---

Gordo

Distinguished
May 21, 2004

Lance wrote:
> You're due for a firmware update to 2.04.4 anyway. Reflash and see if
> that fixes it.

If you are using a PPPoE DSL account, be aware that 2.04.4 has a bug that
causes slow web page loading.
http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1655&p_created=1092786243&p_sid=OVoouynh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPXNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT0xJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTIwJnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9JnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNsb3c*&p_li=

In article <EqydndnjReDe1_XcRVn-qA@giganews.com>, nospam@nospam.com
says...
> Are you sure this is not caused by your browser? I've seen this happen
> before, it it was my browser doing it. Clear your browser cache, and make
> sure it's not set to never check for newer versions of stored pages. Try a
> different browser and see if that makes a difference.
>

> "Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> > All right, I just bought and installed this router this morning. I have
> > desktop PC wired into the router and a laptop with wireless access.
> > Both machines talk to the router and use the internet with no problem.
> > But when I go into the router web page and try to set up wireless
> > security the page doesn't work. It gies me a list of choices (WEP, WPA,
> > etc.) but choosing one does absolutely nothing. And the page setting
> > won't save so every time I come back to that particular page it is set
> > back to 'disabled'. I'm using firmware version v2.02.7. I must have
> > messed up somewhere but nothing I try has any effect on what the
> > wireless security page does, which is nothing.
> >
> > Any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!
> >
> > -- Bob

I finally got it. Proxomitron broke the page, as it occasionally does.
Once I bypassed Proxo the page started working exactly as advertised and
I now have the laptop on the internet with 128-bit WEP encryption
(unfortunately it can't do WPA). The browser comment made me think and
it's amazing how fast these problems go away when you actually use your
head, isn't it?

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. You'll hear from me again
sometime, I'm sure. :)

-- Bob