Linksys WRT54GS behind D-Link DSL-321B

kdiggity

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hello Gurus and Experts,

After researching, trying and failing, and again, till I'm busted and bruised, I'm turning to this great crowd for some help.

In a nutshell:

I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router behind a D-Link DSL-321B ADSL2+ ethernet modem. Each one functions independently, but not together.

I have read countless threads on this site, and others, but I just can't get these two components to play nicey-nice.

The quick overview of components:

Modem type: D-Link DSL-321B [aka DSL] (running latest OEM firmware)
ADSL2+ service through a local provider: O2 Telefónica
Connection Type : PPPoE LLC (with static IP)
Modem LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: on

Router type: Linksys WRT54GS v6 [aka WRT] (running latest OEM firmware)
Router LAN IP: 192.168.2.1

Note the different subnets.

The DSL obviously works, since your reading this. If I connect my PC directly to it's ethernet port, I'm able to connect to the internet.

The WRT works on the LAN, and is assigning local IPs to the various computers (1 Win XP Pro, wired; 1 Mac OSX, wireless) just fine. They can see each other within the LAN, ping and be pinged.

This is not a new router, and was working perfectly up until a week ago when I had to move from Cable to DSL service. Ah, cable...

How it's all physically connected:

Standard RJ-11 cable from wall to DSL

Ethernet cable from DSL to WAN port on WRT (all cables have been tested and afaik are good)

Ethernet cable from LAN port on WRT to NIC (on-board) on PC (I've tried all ports, to make sure)

So: DSL service -> DSL Modem -> Linksys Router -> Wired PC

Pretty standard stuff.

Now, the problem:

I power cycle everything, modem on first, then router, then pc, waiting the appropriate time between each to allow for handshaking and cuddling, etc.

When I get logged into OS, I jump to terminal and check ipconfig /all, and see that the PC has been assigned it's LAN address by the WRT, and it's gateway, DNS, etc. from the DSL.

When I login to the WRT webadmin and check status, it shows all of the information from the service provider: IP, masks, gateways, DNS', etc. It look, well, perfect.

On the both the DSL and WRT, the indicator LEDs are lit as they should be - Status, LAN, Power, Internet and Port X, etc..

HOWEVER, try as I might I can not access the outside world/WAN/internet. LAN is all good and I can see the WRT and both machines, all on LAN address under the WRT subnet (192.168.2.100...101...102)

I've tried things such as setting the WRT to clone the PC MAC address, setting the connection type on WRT to PPPoE with correct login info (this just returns an error about not being handed an IP address), all to no avail.

I've tried changing the settings on the DSL to something other than PPPoE, such as Bridged and Static. Neither resolves the problem.

I've tried turning off the DHCP on both components (only one at a time, of course), even though they're on different subnets: no success.

(I also tried it with them on the same subnet, but different addresses. eg: 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2: no success)

I've tried plugging the DSL into a LAN port on the WRT, instead of the WAN (with both DHCP on, or only one on, and with different LAN IPs): no success.

SIGH. I feel like I've tried everything that I can think of, but I'm obviously missing something here. Any ideas?

Thank you very, very much in advance for any help or advice.

-K

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I think you need to focus on the external interface of the WRT. When you say it's getting an IP address... what IP address / information is it getting?

kdiggity

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010

Thanks for the reply!

That's what I am thinking as well.

In the admin of the WRT it has a Status section that shows, well, you know, the status. On that page, under the Internet section, it shows the WAN IP and associated info from the service provider. This is the same info that is also in the DSL router admin when I look at it's own Status page.

So that, combined with the Internet LED being illuminated (as well as a few other things like the DNS from the modem showing up when I ipconfig in the terminal on the PC), leads me to believe that they're (DSL and WRT) talking.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
The external interface will need an IP address on the internal network of the D-Link and point to the D-Link as the gateway. Soo... in your example:
Modem type: D-Link DSL-321B [aka DSL] (running latest OEM firmware)
External Interface Connection Type : PPPoE LLC (with static IP)
Modem LAN IP: 192.168.1.1

Router type: Linksys WRT54GS v6 [aka WRT] (running latest OEM firmware)
External Interface: 192.168.1.200 / 255.255.255.0 (assuming /24 subnet) and default gateway of 192.168.1.1
Router LAN IP: 192.168.2.1

kdiggity

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for the information/suggestion, Brian_TII.

I want to make sure that I understand before I make any changes, so please bear with me.

On the first page of the WRT setup admin it allows you to choose the Internet Connection Type - Automatic/DHCP, Static, PPPoE, and a few others.

It's currently set to Automatic/DHCP, so it get's the information from the DSL. If I change it to Static, I can enter the information that you've suggested.

What about the DNS info? Should I use what the DSL has been automatically passing over (which I don't think will work)?

Basically, it sounds like you're suggesting to just setup the WRT to a static IP configuration, pointing at the DSL.

Like this?: http://forevergeeks.com/configure-a-linksys-router-with-a-static-ip-address

That seems so simply absurd, that I will bang my head against the desk (in a good way!) if it works.

Once I hear back from you confirming that this is the information that I should edit, and the numbers to plug-in (for DNS), I'll give it a try.

Thank you very much for your help thus far!

-K

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yup, set a static IP address and point your default gateway towards the D-Link... you can use pretty much any DNS... maybe even the DLink if it's cacheing... however if you're in doubt just use Google's public DNS - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 they are free and work well.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

kdiggity

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I tried this and although it seems like I'm a step closer, I'm still not getting connectivity.

I'm able to ping both the DSL from the PC, so everything sees the other, but I'm still not able to get outside to the WAN.

I checked the settings on the DSL and they seem normal, like they should be allowing the WRT to connect through.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for the help so far. I do feel like it's getting closer.

-K

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hmm....

1) What mode is the WRT router in? NAT, Bridged, etc? I gave you instructions based on the most common, NAT.

2) What happens when you type "ping yahoo.com" What is the EXACT error message you get? Could not resolve? Host unreachable? Etc...

3) What happens when you run "telnet 192.168.1.1 80" and "telnet 192.168.1.1 443"? What are the exact error messages? Does it ever go to a black screen or say "connected"?

G

Thanks man - that really helped. I thought something has to be wrong with this modem. Happy I have fond the answer :bounce:

TRENDING THREADS