linksys/XP. SSID off, can't see network

David

I''ve got a couple of XP machines, and linksys 802.11g router & adapters.
I set SSID on PCs & router, but when I turn off SSID broadcast, the PCs
no longer see the wireless network.

I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem. What
I couldn't determine from the stuff I read is if this was the fault of XP
or of the Linksys adapters, or what. Would wireless adapters from
another vendor work better? I have a Cisco 802.11b adapter that
I will try to test later.

If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can easily discover a cloaked
SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA with a very LONG
RANDOM key...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:%23iBbQ3fvEHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can easily discover a cloaked
> SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better yet WPA with a very LONG
> RANDOM key...

I'm running WPA, and using MAC filtering. I don't like the idea of the SSID broadcast, but I
guess I'll get over it.

Thanks,
David

xp will not like it, as al says, it's no better to cloak it anyway.
enable only listed macs + WEP or WPA should suffice

mike

> Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can
easily discover a cloaked
> SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better
yet WPA with a very LONG
> RANDOM key...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "David" <my_usenet_acct@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I''ve got a couple of XP machines, and linksys 802.11g router &
adapters.
> > I set SSID on PCs & router, but when I turn off SSID broadcast, the PCs
> > no longer see the wireless network.
> >
> > I did a web search, and this seems to be a common problem. What
> > I couldn't determine from the stuff I read is if this was the fault of
XP
> > or of the Linksys adapters, or what. Would wireless adapters from
> > another vendor work better? I have a Cisco 802.11b adapter that
> > I will try to test later.
> >
> > If it's a Linksys problem I *may* return the Linksys stuff and get
> > something that works better. I guess SSID broadcast isn't that
> > big a deal, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

---

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811427

> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Your simply better off *NOT* cloaking the SSID. Tools like Kismet can
>> easily discover a cloaked
>> SSID. Turn it back on and use other measures like 128-bit WEP or better
>> yet WPA with a very LONG
>> RANDOM key...
>
> I'm running WPA, and using MAC filtering. I don't like the idea of the
> SSID broadcast, but I
> guess I'll get over it.
>
> Thanks,
> David