Linux beginner questions

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
hello

I am hearing that linux is more functional than windows in many ways

I never use a linux before n I have some questions here

- which linux version currently is the best and free? and most stable and best against virus and attack?

- is there linux that comes with synchronziation between two drives, I have a couple of portable hard drives to serve as backup copy, however, but original drive will update , files will be added and deleted very often and I need a probably instant update to the backup drive

- Is there any linux that also comes with nice photo editing tool ? which should be more powerful than windows paint while less complicated than GIMP or PS. Most of the time I need to add logo, watermark, text to some images

Thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution
Hi brannsiu,

Going through one by one of your questions:

- which linux version currently is the best and free? and most stable and best against virus and attack?

Almost all linux are free of viruses, nobody invests time for creating viruses for these systems as there are very few users, industrial and commercial use are very less.

For stability you can go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint

is there linux that comes with synchronziation between two drives, I have a couple of portable hard drives to serve as backup copy, however, but original drive will update , files will be added and deleted very often and I need a probably instant update to the backup drive

Yes periodic backups are possible for all Debian/Ubuntu based distros...

warhead0

Distinguished
hi, I've got some very basic linux experience, and from what I've used it certainly isn't as functional or compatible as windows is.
Stability is another issue that will be more subjective, it really depends on what you are trying to do and if the hardware is fully compatible.
You will have to learn basic code such as the 'sudo apt-get' commands, but will soon feel somewhat familiar.

I was using Ubuntu, it's free and seems to be a pretty solid choice. https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

- I'm not too sure about this, You can setup a regular scheduled backup of certain files, documents and OS. not so sure about a mirrored image though.

- Not that i know of, GIMP is available on linux, otherwise a popular method is to use WINE software to 'emulate' the windows photoshop. for the most part GIMP is probably enough.

Hope that helps a little.

talktoarnab

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Hi brannsiu,

Going through one by one of your questions:

Almost all linux are free of viruses, nobody invests time for creating viruses for these systems as there are very few users, industrial and commercial use are very less.

For stability you can go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint

is there linux that comes with synchronziation between two drives, I have a couple of portable hard drives to serve as backup copy, however, but original drive will update , files will be added and deleted very often and I need a probably instant update to the backup drive

Yes periodic backups are possible for all Debian/Ubuntu based distros

- Is there any linux that also comes with nice photo editing tool ? which should be more powerful than windows paint while less complicated than GIMP or PS. Most of the time I need to add logo, watermark, text to some images

yes but not might be free

Check out this site : http://distrowatch.com/

Solution