Linux bitrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

I currently run Ubuntu 10.04LTS on a home-built AMD_965/NV_9800gtx+ system. Nice Hanns 28" monitor. I do **not** game, but use my system for a broad spectrum of communication, engineering & WP applications. Been running Ubuntu esxclusively since U_6.06.

Call me Joe Shmoo lusr, with much Linux experience, but no talent, interest or time to become administratively "involved". I hate the entire GNU motif actually. Like SPOCK, every couple years I write bunches of science C-code , but accepting the free-as-beer goodies I try to keep my distance ....

And LO it's nearly time for another hardware buildout. The INTEL 2xxxk chips are quite amazing and the price **MUST** come down if only because of gravity. I would splurge on a 30" monitor. So naturally it's time for choice of the (new) OS to run that new hardware. I am **more than displeased** with the backward convolution of Linux developers ... from Office_Libre to Unity and dammnear everything piece of hardware support in between. Stuff just doesn't improve, crucial apps do not get written, but rather basic function bitrots! Believe it -- I have had to borrow a friends XP_system to get photos off a digital,camera. It's YOOL_2012 sad , but true.

OTOH I hear very good things about Windows_8. So I ask ... is Linux/Ubuntu desktop in the process of slow motion suicide? Are Linux developers removing usrland support for all, but iPid/pad/pod_type creatures ? And AC/BOFH coldrooms? Can we expect howling_dawg Slackware and Debiolian packs to reclaim control over the namesake recreating a byteboyz-only environs?

No excuses or defense please ... just the hard cold underbelly if anyone knows it.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
First things first, I'm not too sure what the point of this thread is. Right now it appears it's just here to cause a ruckus/discussion. If this is not the case feel free to let me know. Anyways, here we go...

First off, just out of my own curiosity, what about the GNU motif do you not like? I just don't see how somebody could feel as strongly as to say they 'hate' a movement that is intended to provide freedom with computing. I know it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. Again, just curious for my own reasons, everyone is entitled to their opinions.

No offense, but the fact that you stated you exclusively use Ubuntu doesn't help to validate these claims. I agree, Ubuntu is frankly turning to sh*t. However, it's not fair to make these claims towards Linux (or any open-source OS at that) when you only use one distribution with a very abnormal focus. What "crucial apps" aren't being written? If programs are in high demand, they get written. I can't think of any application that thousands plus people want to use that hasn't had any attention paid to it.

I would say not at all. Ubuntu is going in a unique direction, and we'll all see how that turns out for them, but there are many other distributions that are making great strides. As for supporting devices, the reason the i-devices have such great support is their widespread adoption. Nobody is going to go out of their way to support a device that only hundreds/thousands of people use. There has to be widespread adoption before support is provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.