Linux compatibility on laptops

Kevin9542

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Im currently studying and im starting to do some programming relatively soon, since i only have a desktop i am in need of a laptop, i wasn't sure where to post this because this mixes both Linux and Laptop Tech subforums.

I have a few questions:

1- Whatever brand i use, whatever laptop i buy with whatever OS included, can i install Linux (OpenSuse) on it?
Called a tech but he wasn't very descriptive but he did say that samsung is not easy or possible to swap OS but needed to change a BIOS setting which comes to the question if all motherboards have this setting on the BIOS.

2- If im getting a linux laptop for programming will any celeron processor like the n2830 or 1037U be decent enough to run few programs like a browser, and a few other tools? Would it take too long to compile things?

I had one laptop in mind, but i heard hardware might also give compatibility issues, would this one work fine with opensuse?

Asus F551MAV-SX652B celeron n2830 processor, integrated graphics, 4gb ram, and more

Thanks for reading!
-Kevin

Solution
Most people will tell you to look into a used ThinkPad. (the x220 or t420 are popular). The dell Developer edition is good too, but expensive.

In general you want to pick a laptop with ALL intel componets. CPU, graphics, Wifi. Avoid broadcom and Realtek wifi chips. These will give you some installation headaches, whereas intel stuff just works.

The modern 'haswell' celerons are great. Reasonably good processor speed and great battery life for very cheap. You will be able to compile programs no problem but if you are compiling large programs like the Linux Kernel it may take quite a long time. Maybe you will want an i5 processor or similiar.
Most people will tell you to look into a used ThinkPad. (the x220 or t420 are popular). The dell Developer edition is good too, but expensive.

In general you want to pick a laptop with ALL intel componets. CPU, graphics, Wifi. Avoid broadcom and Realtek wifi chips. These will give you some installation headaches, whereas intel stuff just works.

The modern 'haswell' celerons are great. Reasonably good processor speed and great battery life for very cheap. You will be able to compile programs no problem but if you are compiling large programs like the Linux Kernel it may take quite a long time. Maybe you will want an i5 processor or similiar.

Solution

Kevin9542

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Awesome tips right there, im def going to look into intel based laptops, i am sorry but i forgot to mention im on a tight budget, living here in portugal i cant afford more than 450 euros since i also have uni to pay for.

Graphics for me isnt a big deal because i got a home gaming computer that i use for games, the purpose of this is for studying computing and programming whilst still being able to watch a movie or maybe some browser games once in a while but other than that, mostly aimed for school work.

Im going to do a little more research and see what i can come up with, if you have any suggestions feel free to post them and i will apreciate it .

EDIT: I was looking into the wifi part, but i can't find anywhere if a specific laptop model from a specific brand has a better wifi chip than realtek and broadcom

EDIT2: Would this be better? http://www.worten.pt/store/inicio/informatica/computadores/portateis/portatil-15-6-acer-e1-570g-33214g1td-intel-i3.html
Sorry i know it's in portuguese but should be easy to see the specs, the graphics card is nvidia though, not sure if that makes any problems
Cheers
-Kevin

Atheros, Intel, and Ralink have the best Linux WiFi drivers. Realtek is OK, depending on the chip used. Avoid broadcom at all costs. Unfortunately it is difficult to know what chip set is used in a laptop without physical access. Maybe you can email the manufacturer before hand.

Nvidia has poor open source drivers, but the proprietary driver is pretty good. Probably you can getvthe gt740M to work but your better off trying to find one with just Intel graphics though. Save your self hours of headache! Intel just works. (Have great open source drivers )

I don't know what all is available in Europe but I see plenty of core i5 x220 on eBay for less than $400

Kevin9542

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
I think i might be going for the intel graphics , it even has like 60% more long lasting on a single charge, the problem with ebay is its quite far away, and it would take quite a few weeks to arrive here where i live, and i need it in the next few days, next week max. I'l call the shop or email about the wifi chip, thanks for the great help :)

Cheers
-Kevin

Lenovo laptops generally work well with Linux. I run OpenSuSE on a Lenovo G500. It has an i3 processor which is plenty good enough for development work (though it's never as easy on a laptop as a desktop). Lenovo are what used to be IBM - Thinkpads and the like.

That cost £300 in the UK which is less than 450 Euros.