Linux-formatted drive not visible in BIOS

Zilounay

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Hi,

I have recently bought a WD MyCloud Ex2 Ultra, which performed *very* poorly in terms of speed. So I decided to try and move data on the drives from another device (my computer). When I put the WD Red (Nas drives) of 8tb in my computer, they were not recognized by the BIOS. As in, nothing shows up, as if I didn't plug anything. They don't spin up either.

If I put another drive (also of 8tb) on the same SATA slots, it's recognized just fine.

So I thought the drives from the Ex2 Ultra were special and asked their support, and they told me they are formatted for Linux, not windows, that's why the BIOS can't see them.

I'm not a tech expert, but I'm not uneducated either ; BIOS is pre-OS by definition, right? So if my BIOS can't see the drive, it does not matter the formatting of the drive, correct?

I mean, for all I know, the drives could be unformatted and the BIOS should still see them.

My questions are :
- Am I correct to think their answer is completely unhelpful, and that if I bother putting Linux on my machine, i'll still be exactly where I am ?
- What should I do to see my drives on my computer ? They were working on the Ex2 Ultra, and they don't show up anywhere on any other computer (tried 2 different machines).

I'm really in need of help here ; it's just plugging a drive, I've done that countless times but this one has been holding me for almost 3 weeks now and because I opened the damn NAS, I don't have warranty anymore >_<

Thank you very much for your time :)

Solution
assuming you have SATA power and a SATA data cable connected, yes, it should at least show up/be identified in the BIOS...(if you have 'secure boot' enabled, disable that, switch to AHCI mode, just in case that selection is playing havoc with recognizing other hardware...
assuming you have SATA power and a SATA data cable connected, yes, it should at least show up/be identified in the BIOS...(if you have 'secure boot' enabled, disable that, switch to AHCI mode, just in case that selection is playing havoc with recognizing other hardware...

Solution