[SOLVED] Linux Install

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
Hello
I have an old laptop (Celeron M420 and 2GB ram)
I want to install Linux Mint onto it and run JMRI (for model train)
I did download Mint xfce 32bits and put it on a usb flash drive
I was able to boot from it on the laptop where no HDD was installed. I saw the Linux Mint screen, but didn't click on install but on shut down instead
Now, I'm trying to redo the same thing but this time with an "old" 64GB SSD that has Windows 64 bits installed on it
The problem is when I start the laptop and even though the bios is setup to boot from USB, it goes right into the windows recovery mode saying "the 64 bits application couldn't be launched since the processor is 32 bits....."
Why does it go in the recovery mode and not boot from the USB as it did before?
How can I "prep" the SSD then (from Windows 10) to be able to install Linux Mint from the USB? Should I try for format it?

Thanks

Solution
Installing Mint is a good use for that computer.

The boot issue should be solved if you find the hotkey to bring up the boot menu (then you force the computer to bot at whatever storage device connected).

Supposed all files on that computer is copied to another device (your backup), then you will be able to install Mint and have the installer to select an option to wipe all and install automatically (or similar, it's a while ago since I installed Ubuntu/Mint now).
Installing Mint is a good use for that computer.

The boot issue should be solved if you find the hotkey to bring up the boot menu (then you force the computer to bot at whatever storage device connected).

Supposed all files on that computer is copied to another device (your backup), then you will be able to install Mint and have the installer to select an option to wipe all and install automatically (or similar, it's a while ago since I installed Ubuntu/Mint now).

Solution

french_guy

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2007
so I was able to install Mint (by setting the ssd down to the last position in the boot list.....weird. but it worked)
So Mint 18 is installed.....but JMRI needs Java to run
Is there an wasy method to install Java?
I don't know much about Linux environment...!!!
Thanks