[SOLVED] Linux installation, could it effect my other drives?

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I have a dual boot commuter right now(bios level) and I plan on making it triple boot with Linux. im going to be adding an m.2 ssd and install linux on that. I know sometimes if you have multiple drives connected while you install windows it can make the boot manager go onto the drive you don't install on, does the same thing happen with Linux? should I unplug all my drives when I install linux? I want this installation to be complete separate from my windows installs. also how do you disable devices in linux? i want to disable all my other drives that i use for windows so they cant be used/seen in my linux boot.

Solution
If you install Linux with the other drives connected, it will almost certainly consume the boot partitions into the Linux GRUB situation.

Just disconnect the other drives when you install Linux, and all will be well.

As far as "disconnection"...physical switches have been recommended to you before.
Or encryption.

That would solve a LOT of your conditions.

USAFRet

Titan
If you install Linux with the other drives connected, it will almost certainly consume the boot partitions into the Linux GRUB situation.

As far as "disconnection"...physical switches have been recommended to you before.
Or encryption.

Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014

Or encryption.

so far the windows hardware id disable in group policy editor has been working well, and im not as worried about my linux c drive being able to see my windows drives so a simple disable is all I need. I will disconnect, so everything is separate and drives arn't tied to each other which would ruin my os separation.