Linux installation issues

ol3lazeo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Ok so here is what I am trying to do.****computer specs will be at the bottom to assist you guys*****

I have 1 ssd and 2 hdd... I want to have one harddrive exclusively for Linux 13 mate. I formatted the drive and have tried to install from a live USB drive... It went to a black screen with a _ blinking similar to a command box. The second attempt on a different media was just a cd I was able to get to the grub menu and choose install MINt. I noticed my CD drive spun down the moment I chose that line

* I have very little hands on skills with linux as of this writing I have only ever used OpenSUSE on an old ACER laptop and it was soo much easier to install and use

Now I have been doing a ton of research on to what could be causing this
1. something I saw said my dedicated graphics card could be causing some video output issues to the monitor.... I dont believe this to be the problem but I could be wrong

2. My mother board is a sabertooth z77 with UEFI bios and no way to disable the secured boot feature to my knowledge... This feels more plausible as it shuts down after I get to the GRub menu if I am using the correct termonology.. I have even tried to disable the uefi bios boot and use the legacy bios to boot up but I am not sure if that really did anything because i got the same white screen of death from the CD that I got when i enabled UEFI

3. Possible issue with the file itself being downloaded straight from mints website... could happen but everytime i try to check the file it goes to the black screen for me.

4. When I boot into compatibility mode It still hangs and does not move after telling me my network adapter is not properly installed...

Please and thank you for any information you can give me on this matter I will be checking my phone periodically from work to give updates if you need information

Computer specs
CPU - INTEL core i7 3770k
motherboard- Sabertooth z77
Graphics- AMD radeon 7970
RAM 16gb 1372 i believe

Solution
The only thing I can suggest is to boot with apic off. You do that by pressing f6 when it reaches to grubboot menu
from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Changing_the_CD_Boot_Option_Configuration_Line

F6. Other Options. ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and EDD (Enhanced Disk Drive) options which may help if your computer does not support or has problems with these systems. Highlight the selection and press the ENTER key or SPACE key to select it. An "X" will appear, indicating selection. Multiple items can be selected from this popup menu. Hit ESC to leave the popup menu. The selections are retained at the time the user presses the ESC key.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I also had trouble installing Linux. The best option for me is to intalls the Linux Windows Installer from Ubuntu websites. You perform the Linux install inside Windows. Then uppon boot, you will get 2 boot options, Linux and Windows. You can edit this boot menu later. In my configuration, it takes only 1 second to automatically load Linux, and is enough time to press "down" when the option appears during BIOS. It works

ol3lazeo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I forgot to put that I have already tried just partitioning on my hdd for win 7 and just getting it to work, but when I go to try it that way it tells me when I select Linux Mint and it tells me it must finish installing mint. .. to which I said I needed sleep so I left it on over night to try and see if it would work some kind of magic and need some I put from me the following morning but sadly it just stayed on the black screen .... This happened when I tried to install from the USB using win installer package I found in the folders

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
.Stay away from the windows install if you can, it tends not to give you full value. Also, secure boot is apparently off since you can boot at all to the DVD. Next, if windows is uefi stay in uefi otherwise you'll have to use the BIOS to switch systems, not pleasant.
All that said, be extra sure your DVD is good. Skittle's the one here to give hardware advice but I should think it should work fine. Try booting the DVD in another machine.

ol3lazeo

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Yes sorry just a loose use of words I have tried installing them on a sony dvdR...... I tried several different form of linux on ot only my desktop but my laptop..... both which are about a 1 year old not sure the exact specs of the laptop.... regardless

I have tried
Mint 13 Mate 64 and 32
ubuntu 13.10 64 and 32
and also ubuntu 12 LTS

I was trying to see what the issue was and all three of the OS seems to hang after it recognizes my graphics card.... in a nut shell

I load the DVD with the OS and boot into my CD drive. I choose to install the OS from I believe the grub menu... it blinks on what looks like a command box and then it resizes itself and hangs immediately....

Im sure this is very vague but I have tried all 6 discs on my desktop and my laptop.... I am very confused and just need some advice into which steps I should proceed with next.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
The only thing I can suggest is to boot with apic off. You do that by pressing f6 when it reaches to grubboot menu
from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions#Changing_the_CD_Boot_Option_Configuration_Line

F6. Other Options. ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and EDD (Enhanced Disk Drive) options which may help if your computer does not support or has problems with these systems. Highlight the selection and press the ENTER key or SPACE key to select it. An "X" will appear, indicating selection. Multiple items can be selected from this popup menu. Hit ESC to leave the popup menu. The selections are retained at the time the user presses the ESC key.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS