[SOLVED] Linux Mandrake 7.0 in VirtualBox - can't change screen resolution

Mar 2, 2019
I'm trying to set up a KDE 1.x VM, and I was able to get it up and running with Mandrake 7.0, but I'm running into this problem where I'm stuck at 640x480 resolution no matter what I do. If I try to change the screen resolution in DrakConf using the "change X resolution" button, nothing happens, and if I go through the graphics configuration process, selecting "generic VGA compatible" as my graphics card and then choosing a 1024x768 video mode and then trying to adjust the resolution, it gives me an error that says "No valid modes found. Try changing some parameters." I've tried running the VirtualBox guest additions installer and changing the VirtualBox graphics adapter and the amount of video memory, as well as tinkering with everything I could think of in the guest, but nothing seems to work. I'm running VirtualBox under Windows 10.

Does anyone know of a solution to this, or alternatively, an easier way to get KDE 1 running in VirtualBox?

EDIT: I just tried installing Red Hat 7.0 and ran into essentially the same problem during the graphics test phase. I'm thinking this is an overarching problem with VirtualBox and old Linux versions.

Last edited:
Solution
I think the latest version of Virtual Box is 6.0.6. I have used 6.0.4 and have installed Guest Additions easily in Ubuntu, Debian and Open SUSE guests on it.

If you want to work with Linux you can try other distros if you have no luck with Mandriva/Mandrake and do not insist on using that as it is discontinued. There are lots of guides online on how to setup Guest Additions on Ubuntu, Open SUSE, Debian etc. You can get KDE on them too.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I think the latest version of Virtual Box is 6.0.6. I have used 6.0.4 and have installed Guest Additions easily in Ubuntu, Debian and Open SUSE guests on it.

If you want to work with Linux you can try other distros if you have no luck with Mandriva/Mandrake and do not insist on using that as it is discontinued. There are lots of guides online on how to setup Guest Additions on Ubuntu, Open SUSE, Debian etc. You can get KDE on them too.

Solution

Dave8671

Distinguished
Mandrake Linux has been discontinued back in may 2015. I do not know your specs of your PC but if is older duo core2 use Ubuntu 18.04 LTS mate will use about 460mb of ram idle. Ubuntu gnome will use about 1GB idle. The KDE version of Ubuntu is called Kubuntu its a fork of Ubuntu which only supports a release every 3 years note it can be unstable and will use about a 1GB or more ram.

Ubuntu 18.04