Linux Mint 17.2 just freezes

Slyerx

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
So, I just got a Asus ROG GL551JW-CN254T and got a dual boot on it with Linux Mint 17.2 and whenever im on Linux, after a few minutes my mouse just stops and everything freezes. How can i fix it?

Solution
My first guess would be that the Mint screensaver/screen locker is attempting to run, but you haven't installed the proprietary driver for your video card... causing everything to lock up. My second guess would be that the Mint update manager is refreshing the package list and locking things up because of a slow internet connection. I suggest changing the screensaver settings to not activate until a longer time period. The screen lock settings can be changed to activate after a longer time period, and maybe also change the power management settings to never put the display to sleep. The update manager setting can be changed to check for updates once every day or two. If these changes allow you to continue without freezes, it's a good...

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
My first guess would be that the Mint screensaver/screen locker is attempting to run, but you haven't installed the proprietary driver for your video card... causing everything to lock up. My second guess would be that the Mint update manager is refreshing the package list and locking things up because of a slow internet connection. I suggest changing the screensaver settings to not activate until a longer time period. The screen lock settings can be changed to activate after a longer time period, and maybe also change the power management settings to never put the display to sleep. The update manager setting can be changed to check for updates once every day or two. If these changes allow you to continue without freezes, it's a good time to install the proprietary driver for the video. Once you have the driver installed change the settings back to your preference.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts