Question Linux (Mint) option for Power Saving Mode & ASUS AC / AI Suite / FanXpert ?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

Is it possible to run a laptop (specifically ASUS Laptop Vivobook 16 K3605ZV) in Linux (Mint) in Power Saving Mode (like in Windows)?

Also, is it possible to run ASUS Armoury Crate, AI Suite and FanXpert in Linux (or is there any equivalent software available for non-ASUS TUF laptops running in Linux)?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Is it possible to run a laptop (specifically ASUS Laptop Vivobook 16 K3605ZV) in Linux (Mint) in Power Saving Mode (like in Windows)?
Looks like there is a solution, at least for Ubuntu (and thereby probably also Mint) - have a look at this AI search result:

https://www.perplexity.ai/search/Is-it-possible-8sOwEEJeRcWwCho1frTY_g

Also, is it possible to run ASUS Armoury Crate, AI Suite and FanXpert in Linux (or is there any equivalent software available for non-ASUS TUF laptops running in Linux)?
Probably not - this assumes that ASUS has made a software specific for Linux, and they haven't.

If you want to know if a specific software is known to run good in Wine, you can have a search on this site:

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Looks like there is a solution, at least for Ubuntu (and thereby probably also Mint) - have a look at this AI search result:

https://www.perplexity.ai/search/Is-it-possible-8sOwEEJeRcWwCho1frTY_g

Probably not - this assumes that ASUS has made a software specific for Linux, and they haven't.

If you want to know if a specific software is known to run good in Wine, you can have a search on this site:
Thanks very much Grobe. That AI search page/result was interesting.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
you could look at something like this https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq

on my laptop (msi stealth studio w/ PopOS) i use https://github.com/deinstapel/cpupower to stop it from trying to pump up to 5ghz all the time which is annyoying. note that this one is a gnome extension.
Thanks rustigsmed!
I was very happy and interested to see your post :)

The MSI Stealth looks like a great laptop (saw someone else recommend it recently and checked it out). I was wondering what the fan noise is like with this laptop? How many RPMs do you have from the fan when idling and in light usage? (Mine averages around 2000 RPM and wondered if that is normal with Core i7 and RTX 4060 running).

Sounds good with PopOS - can I ask why you chose that OS and is there much difference with Gnome-based OS? Is it better than Linux Mint? (I'm still fairly new to Linux).

I've tried software called cpupower-gui which allows me to adjust the frequencies for all cores in my processor and set different profiles (such as powersave or performance) - is that similar to the cpupower software you use (sorry I could not install it in Linux Mint to see)? Unfortunatel, it did not seem to help with the fan noise.

Do you have any other software you use with your MSI Stealth to control fan profiles and noise? Or any other suggestions with this?

Thank you so much :)

Last edited:

rustigsmed

Distinguished
Thanks rustigsmed!
I was very happy and interested to see your post :)

The MSI Stealth looks like a great laptop (saw someone else recommend it recently and checked it out). I was wondering what the fan noise is like with this laptop? How many RPMs do you have from the fan when idling and in light usage? (Mine averages around 2000 RPM and wondered if that is normal with Core i7 and RTX 4060 running).

Sounds good with PopOS - can I ask why you chose that OS and is there much difference with Gnome-based OS? Is it better than Linux Mint? (I'm still fairly new to Linux).

I've tried software called cpupower-gui which allows me to adjust the frequencies for all cores in my processor and set different profiles (such as powersave or performance) - is that similar to the cpupower software you use (sorry I could not install it in Linux Mint to see)? Unfortunatel, it did not seem to help with the fan noise.

Do you have any other software you use with your MSI Stealth to control fan profiles and noise? Or any other suggestions with this?

Thank you so much :)
hi donline

no worries - yes that does sound similar but mine helps with the fan noise.
there definitely are quite a few solutions out there especially on github but they are hard to find. I have the 14" monitor so it is pretty compact and probably a bit louder than larger laptops. As I mentioned the cpu really wants to go up to 5hz often, and therefore it gets pretty hot (actually very hot cpu 100 at times). this was more than i was happy with - i had seen reviews where people were claiming much cooler temps so i think i was a bit unlucky with the paste or something. but i had also heard that a lot of the thermal paste now struggles with these new cpus which go real hot and causes 'pump out'. your laptop looks quite thin so I'd check the temps (and it will likely have to have the fans going a bit extra due to the design - maybe you can let it get a bit warmer if you want less noise).

I'm happy with the cpu power gnome extension to control it now. I also have another fan control software which works on msi laptops called 'MControlCenter' which was on github too, it has modes like silent, battery, performance etc - you can set custom profiles as well (I would think someone has made something similar for asus laptops). I was using this before I found cpupower (which i find more useful limiting the clock speeds). I use this if i log into a KDE plasma session (you can install more than one desktop environment - although Mint might not like this). i've also made some modifications (upgraded to 4tb nvme & 64gb ram) I also replaced the thermal paste with the honeywell PTM7950 phase change material (no pump out, doesn't need replacing and gets better over time).

I have only used mint briefly testing on an old laptop. I chose PopOS for the laptop as it is an easy distro to use / maintain and System76 the company who developed PopOS sell their own linux laptops. So they have laptop functionality at front of mind in how they tweaked their linux distro. handy things like easy mux switch options in the menu and pretty good trackpad gestures (Mint also may have this I am not sure). PopOS fairly regularly update the kernel they run (for a debian based distro), whereas Mint as far as Im aware runs a fairly old kernel. it is a bit more important for gaming and the little improvements that come with kernel upgrades. personally gnome isn't my favourite even the popos tweaked version. but if you make the effort and customize with the right extensions it works pretty well (just a lot more effort to setup than say KDE plasma IMO). while I run arch on my home system i also use Pop for my couch PC (media/gaming) as it works well in that situation too.

One thing I would be considering if I were you, your new laptop has a really nice screen I'd consider changing from Mint to something that can run KDE Plasma 6 wayland session to get access to HDR support (maybe tuxedo os or kde neon - but of course you may just wish to get used to Mint and consider it down the track -although both of these are ubuntu based just like Mint is and will be similar to operate).