Question Linux Mint shows errors, doesn't detect unallocated space, and can't be booted properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Hello. I have problems with installing Linux Mint. I used Windows’ Disk Management tool to create an unallocated space where Linux Mint will be installed. I reserved 57.98GB of free space for Linux Mint, as you can see here: https://postimg.cc/JG9brnyQ

Then, I used balenaEtcher to create a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint.

However, when I try to install Linux Mint, it shows errors, then the OS loads, but the installer can’t detect the free space I reserved. Also, when I shut down or restart Linux Mint (the live version), then it can’t load anymore; it still shows the errors and the Linux logo, but the system doesn't proceed beyond the logo. The live version of Linux Mint loads properly only the first time, but can’t load if restarted or shut down. If you restart it or shut it down, and then try to load it again, it will reach the Linux logo, and after that, it will show a black screen.

If I want to make Linux Mint load properly again, I have to erase the USB drive, then use balenaEtcher (again) to make a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint (again). In other words, once I create a bootable USB drive with Linux Mint, the live OS will load properly only once, but no more. Each time I want to make it load properly, I have to start the whole process from the beginning.

I created a video, so you can see the problem.

Watch the video here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROtrswxaJ6M

NOTE: It seems the video has poor quality. Select 720p or 1080p to make the quality a little bit better. Also, i recommend watching the video in full screen, so it can be easier to see the error messages.
NOTE #2: When you see the Boot Menu, watch closely! Before the big error message, there is another error message that appears immediately after i select the bootable USB drive from the Boot Menu.

At the time frame of 02:41
, you will see a message shown for a very short window of time. Since it’s impossible to read it for less than a second, I have screenshot it for you. You can see it here: LINK TO THE IMAGE

Also, as I already said earlier, the Linux Mint installer is unable to detect and show the free space I have reserved. Here are screenshots of each step in the Linux installer, so you can see the problem. Here is a gallery that contains the images showing all steps in the Linux installer: LINK TO THE GALLERY

The last image shows that the USB drive is the only available option the installer shows (sda3 is the USB, not the SSD). The USB drive is in the ext4 format, so the installer shows it as the place where the OS should be installed. The problem is that the installer doesn’t show the empty space I have reserved, and doesn’t show me the option to format that space and make it compatible with Linux. In the past, when I successfully installed Linux Mint on my other laptop, the installer showed me this window: https://postimg.cc/Y4SsW7B0

I was given the option to select the space to be erased and Linux installed. However, now I don’t get that option.

In the past, I installed Linux Mint on an empty HDD that was treated with DBAN. Also, back then I didn’t get any errors. Currently, I want to install the OS on an SSD that has Windows in it. I want to install Linux in the partition I created.

According to some claims I found on the Internet, the problem could be caused by certain settings in the UEFI. Here are images of my UEFI settings: LINK TO THE GALLERY

If you see any problematic settings, tell m which they are, so I can change them.

According to some other claims, the problem could be caused by a BIOS that is too old. However, I have installed the same Linux on a BIOS from 2015, 5 years older than mine BIOS. Doesn't that mean the problem isn't caused by the age of my BIOS?

Additional information:

BIOS Mode: UEFI
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. V1.09, 5/15/2020
BaseBoard Manufacturer - SR
BaseBoard Product - Rose_SR
BaseBoard Version - V1.09
Platform Role - Mobile
Secure Boot State - Off

I have booted Linux Mint and Kali Linux from the same USB drive on the same laptop even before. Back then, I didn't have any problems. The USB drive has been formatted and erased multiple times. It was used for creating media installations for Windows PE, 7, 8, 10, 11, Linux Mint, Kali Linux, other Linux distros, including Debian... In other words, the USB drive has been used heavily. Could the problem be caused by the fact the USB drive has been used too much and now has bad sectors? Or, could the problem be caused by the .iso file itself because it contains errors the developers still haven't fixed?

Can someone help me? I really need help. :(

Thanks.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I didn't see your 1st screenshot so I wrote it all out myself

0.290684 ACPI BIOS Error )Bug: AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, field [ABSD] at bit offset/length 144/16384 exceeds size of target buffer (4208 bits) (20210730/dsopcode-198)

0.310884 ACPI Error: AE_Type, opcode is not deferred [ABSD] (Bufferfield)(2021730/nsinit-411)

0.301894 ACPI Error: AE Type, could not execute arguments for [ABSD] (Bufferfield) (20210730/nsinit-419)

3.301812 kfd kfd: amdgpu: STDNEY not supported in kfd

only bit I could identift was the last line and the answer was to ignore it.
No idea about rest, No idea what ABSD is, I can't find it on Google... I don't know this software, I just thought I look.

You might get an answer on here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=90

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
I didn't see your 1st screenshot so I wrote it all out myself

0.290684 ACPI BIOS Error )Bug: AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, field [ABSD] at bit offset/length 144/16384 exceeds size of target buffer (4208 bits) (20210730/dsopcode-198)

0.310884 ACPI Error: AE_Type, opcode is not deferred [ABSD] (Bufferfield)(2021730/nsinit-411)

0.301894 ACPI Error: AE Type, could not execute arguments for [ABSD] (Bufferfield) (20210730/nsinit-419)

3.301812 kfd kfd: amdgpu: STDNEY not supported in kfd

only bit I could identift was the last line and the answer was to ignore it.
No idea about rest, No idea what ABSD is, I can't find it on Google... I don't know this software, I just thought I look.

You might get an answer on here: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=90
Yes, I already posted a topic in this forum (2 days before I post a thread here, too). In the official Linux Mint forum, people aren't sure what causes the problem, either.

I will try another bootable USB drive to see if the problem still happens.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Very first question I want to ask : Where did you get Balena etcer from? Have you tried to virus check it using www.virustotal.com ?

I have other questions as well, but I think it make sense to just start to pick away the possible issues that should be easiest to test.
I downloaded balenaEtcher from the official website. Virus Total shows there are no viruses. I have used the same program to create bootable USB drives with Linux Mint and Kali Linux - back then, I didn't have any problems.

I believe the problem is caused by changes introduced by the developers of Linux Mint, and then there is a lack of compatibility with my system. Linux Mint 20 worked perfectly, but now Linux Mint 21 causes problems.

I will try another bootable drive.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Well, the nice thing about Ballena is it re-check and verifies the image after flashing.

Next question: Does it behave the same if you test another distro, or just Mint with another desktop ?
I don't know. Linux Mint is the only Linux distribution I have ever used.

So, I tested Linx Mint on another laptop; I installed it successfully. However, it still shows errors.

This is the error I get after turning on the laptop: View: https://imgur.com/AX95fTC

This is the error I get immediately after the first error: View: https://imgur.com/UPhbRwz

This is the error I get after I press the Power Off button and the system begins shutting down: View: https://imgur.com/6wj8u4Z

Does someone know what causes those errors? Those are the same errors I got on my other laptop.

Last edited:

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Well, the next step in the process I'd say is to test another distro. This is often the most easy way of determinig if the problem lies in the distro or your hardware.
I already found out what causes the errors. The errors are caused by new kernel functions that are not compatible with my BIOS, or at least the ACPI settings in my BIOS.

I fixed the first line in the errors message of the first error, by enabling the virtualization option in the BIOS. The Broadcom errors also got solved after I updated the Linux drivers.

For the current distibutions of Linux ALL systems show those same messages. They are NOT fatal errors. Just ignore them. They will likely disappear with the next kernel refresh.

Do those errors appear on all computers, or just on computers that use generic BIOS? My pre-built laptops use generic BIOS - InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev 5.0 and Phoenix Technologies's BIOS v1. 09. Those are generic BIOS editions, not advanced.

I heard those errors are caused by new and more advanced kernel functions present in kernel v5. They told me the problem is caused by lack of compatibility in my BIOS, and Linux developers won't do anything about it. The only way, they say, is for the BIOS developers to release a BIOS update that has compatibility with the new functions. Given the fact my last Phoenix update is from 2020, a lot time ago, I doubt the developers are working anymore on that BIOS.

Do Linux developers have an official statement about whether or not they are working on a patch to solve those errors? If they won't fix the errors, I will use Linux 20.3, not Linux 21.

Have you heard any information about whether or not they will release a patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.