Linux Mint & Windows 8.1 usb install problems

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hello,
I've decided to go and get into linux (other then a VM, i already have a few of those), but don't want to give up my entire windows installation, so naturally i decided to dual boot (i have dual booted a few pc's before, although not with linux, but it can't be that different, cant it?) now ATM i can't afford to go and buy a new blank DVD, but i do have a 4GB Flash Drive that i can use, so naturally i went to the linux mint website (my distro of choice) to see how to "burn" it into a bootable mint flash drive, so i now have my bootable flash drive, however my pc doesn't see it as bootable at all (i've tried normal mode, and enabling Legacy Mode)

my HDD is formatted in a GPT partition, and it's NOT an option to change it to MBR, so don't suggest that

any suggestions on how i can get linux mint to be detected as bootable? (my Motherboard should support UEFI, at least i'm mostly certain it does)

logoster

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
ok, just used the software suggested for setting up a linux distro from tomshardeware, and it still doesn't see it as bootable, i don't think it's my iso, as it worked fine on a virtual machine

Then I'm afraid that, without looking over your shoulder, I can't guess what you are doing wrong. But the fact that the USB stick isn't bootable on any computer shows that you are doing something wrong.

I can only suggest that you start again following exactly the instructions in the link I posted.