Linux not installing on asus motherboard

derlowe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Hello, I tried to install almost every version of linux on my PC with Asus motherboard and AMD A6 processor. It won't install at all. I tried with alternate CD. But after installation Linux does not boot.

wombat_tg

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
Never had an issue either- those issues usually were a bad harddisk, bad CD or the delightful CD r/w permissions error that afflicted some makes of optical drives.

What's the error message? What is it doing or not doing?

derlowe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu almost 4 versions of each.
I used usb drive, CD, DVD, alternate CD. My Hard disk is WD 80GB 7 yrs old, but works fine.

derlowe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

I have an 80GB WD hard disk and it is 7 yrs old. I switch it from primary drive to secondary then again to primary but to no effect.

If you would like assistance you need to give us more information. how far into the installation process do you get? do you receive any error messages? does the computer even see the installation media and begin the installation process?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Completely confusing. You state that Linux won't install and then finish with "after installation" Linux does not boot. Like everyone else has stated, we need more information because what you have provided thus far is completely vague.

derlowe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

With alternate CD, I can complete the installation. But when I restart the PC, screen goes blank.

okay now we're getting somewhere. once you've booted and have a blank screen, press Control-Alt-F2 to switch to a terminal. login with the credentials you created, then please give us the output of:

Code:
sudo lshw -C display

derlowe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

I'll ttry. Thanx!

numbty

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
ok very same here asus m5a97 amd fx630.

until loaded old ubuntu from cd updated ubuntu to latest , same problem .

will run Fedora 15. So now wondering what version of Grub , as exploring with repair tool all flavor of Linux show up as installed ok but as with you do not boot . :eek:

derlowe

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
I tried with alternate CD, alongside windows. At the time of boot options, screen doesn't show option for ubuntu. Also, the partition on which the ubuntu is installed is invisible in windows.

Insomniac0des

Honorable
Jun 10, 2012
I run Ubuntu on m5a97 board with Phenom II x4, and it runs fine. Just make sure your installation media is UEFI formatted, and allot the first 100 mb of your HDD/SSD for the UEFI partition.

You might need to enable/disable the 'nomodeset' option too.. for NVIDIA cards

I built my system a month or two back, and it booted up without any glitches though.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=107620

This link might be helpful to you.