linux on laptop

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am running manrake 7 linux on a fujitsu e362 laptop. It work ok but does not see the usb mouse or the built in modem (winmodem?). The mouse is no big deal but can linux use the modem? How? Will 2.4 help? Can I upgrade to 2.4 without upgrading the rest of the distribution? If/when the modem does work, where can I get internet with linux?

Magus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I haven't tried mandrake yet, but I'm not sure that USB is completely supported yet. I couldn't get my USB mouse to work in SuSe either. You should be able to update to 2.4 if you know how to compile the kernel. The modem part would be an excellent question for Rop though.

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SuSE 7.0 has complete USB support out of the box.
About the modem im not sure though. Sice i do not know what chipset it is using. I have gotten a few pcmcia modem cards working with SuSE 7 with np at all.

G

USB mice are supported from kernel 2.2.xx, full USB support will arrive in kernel 2.4.xx
Personally, i prefer Mandrake. I have 7.2 running on my laptop, and it works like a charm. Suse robs me too much of freedom to modify with all its tools.

As far as you modem, there is catch. Most built in laptop modems are Winmodems, and they will not work under linux. If thats the case with you, you are left with buying a hardware pc-card modem. However, some built-in modems can work. Check http://www.linmodems.org for details and drivers.

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AfterBurn how can SuSE robe you of your freedome with its tools ?? I find that statement confusing... Personally i love SuSE and Mandrake but suse takes my heart. Yast IS a great configuration tool. But after using linux for about 4 years now i almost never use any config tool anymore. And that is the beuty of Linux! In fact i like to configure all with VI under BASH.
But as i said on another post it is just like how you like your coffee :) to each his own

G

Cause YaST has the bad habit of refusing to change a config file after you have manually altered it. So over time, you are left with either manually, or YaST to configure. At least this was the case when i used SuSE (and dropped it again real quick when i stumbled on this). This was SuSE 5.2 though, so things may have changed. To me, Mandrake gives me a nice balance between SuSE (tools) and Slackware (manual), as it has all the nice tools (seen Drakconf in Mandrake 7.2?), yet it uses 'standard' unix config files at the standard location i can edit by hand all i want, depending on my mood.

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes i have seen and used Mandrake 7.2 (got it from the FTP)
And i do like it. As i said it is my second choice of a dsitro. Now SuSE currently is as perfect as they come. Rock Stable and rich in content. You can vi everything that you wish and Yast wont interfere at all.

Anyways Happy linuxing :)

G

This is not true! Proper USB support, as far as you want to call it such anyway, only comes with Kernel 2.4. On an ordinary PC you get your mouse and keyboard running predominantly due to the BIOS support of these two devices. Anything else is just very optimistic with Kernel 2.2.x. Support on a laptop might really be a bitch if the BIOS does not support it on its own.

Cheers,
Andreas

G

Proper USB support comes with SuSE 6.4, kernel 2.2.16 with 2.4 usb backport. The backport is available as a patch for the 2.2.16 kernel. I used to run a usb network adapter and modem on an HP Omibook with SuSE 6.4 kernel 2.2.16bp no probs. (Only either/or tho', only one port!)

For fastgas....gateway addr is in /etc/route.conf
I could be considered an old timer, first distro was slackware 2 (Wow, just found the CD! Might build a system to test it for a laugh! Still got a 486 mobo around here somewhere..)

metamp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the USB is supported in the new kernels but the winmodem may be a ploblem especially in notebooks check the compatibility list on linuxnewbie.com