[SOLVED] Linux OS help

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Hello, i just wanted a suggestion on what linux should i use. I play a online fps shooting game on browser (Chrome) so i have tried almost all windows but all have not good performance, i tried many linux os but best was bodhi linux with 50+ fps which was great(best of all), the only reason to not use bodhi is it got some issues, and less settings options, but the only packages i need is : cpufreq-utils, nvidia-340 and msr-tools. i have used lxle os, bodhi linux, puppy linux, manjaro, lubuntu, debian (with different desktop) like kde and lxle. pop os, zorin os. So just suggest me which one should i try to get better fps (it will be possible by less resource usage.
My specs: core 2 duo P8400 @2.26 (kinda slow enough!)
10gb ram.

Solution
yah i already knew it was only single threaded as noted above. this is why i know you need a better cpu to get any more out of it. this is just the most inefficient way to play a game and it takes a bit more cpu power to overcome the browser itself and the poor language needed to run in browser. flash and java were pretty bad and webgl is not much better.

edit: i loaded it up to see and i am also getting about 60 fps and i am running a 3700x with 64gb ram. so most likely this is the best you are going to do on any platform. if you could get more, i am sure i would be getting more :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't think it is the OS. playing inside a browser is probably the most inefficient way to go about playing a game. they are very very cpu limited and your old and slow cpu is most likely the problem. chrome is a single threaded program which means you are only use one core of the cpu for the game. you'll need a faster single core to get any better fps out of it.

i am willing to bet you have probably gotten the best performance out of the system it can give already.

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
i don't think it is the OS. playing inside a browser is probably the most inefficient way to go about playing a game. they are very very cpu limited and your old and slow cpu is most likely the problem. chrome is a single threaded program which means you are only use one core of the cpu for the game. you'll need a faster single core to get any better fps out of it.

i am willing to bet you have probably gotten the best performance out of the system it can give already.

but i could see difference in fps in all os i have tested. also firefox got the worse performance in webgl for me. firefox is on 20-30 and chrome is at 60fps for me.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'd expect you have found the max that cpu is going to do for you.

but you can keep trying linux versions if you wish. there are many of them and each is designed for something different. this site has a ton of info on many many linux versions

they have write ups and reviews that can help narrow down something else to try. focus on it being as light as possible and maybe you can squeeze another few fps out of it.

a google search for "light linux distros" will also turn up a bunch more ideas such as

good luck.

Reactions: Krotow
Indeed you reached your hardware limits. Both Firefox and Chrome grown up and got a bit bloated. So even in Linux 4 GB RAM is bare minimum at today. But that is a price for "progress". Also why play in browser when Wine developed so far that is even possible to play AAA titles out of box and mostly without graphics degrading. Steam Play/Proton is the way now. I can confirm from personal experience, it works even on decade old system with adequate GPU just fine.

What is that shooter you are playing "in browser"? I'm simply curious - don't remember any known title that came in such format.

Last edited:

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018
Indeed you reached your hardware limits. Both Firefox and Chrome grown up and get a bit bloated. So even in Linux 4 GB RAM is bare minimum at today. But that is a price for "progress". Also why play in browser when Wine developed so far that is even possible to play AAA titles out of box and mostly without graphics degrading. Steam Play/Proton is the way now. I can confirm from personal experience, it works even on decade old system with adequate GPU just fine.

What is that shooter you are playing "in browser"? I'm simply curious - don't remember any known title that came in such format.
this game don't have multi-thread support as multi-thread in webgl is still in development also it is not downloadable it is browser based only. game is https://warmerise.com

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah i already knew it was only single threaded as noted above. this is why i know you need a better cpu to get any more out of it. this is just the most inefficient way to play a game and it takes a bit more cpu power to overcome the browser itself and the poor language needed to run in browser. flash and java were pretty bad and webgl is not much better.

edit: i loaded it up to see and i am also getting about 60 fps and i am running a 3700x with 64gb ram. so most likely this is the best you are going to do on any platform. if you could get more, i am sure i would be getting more :)

Solution

mmzf

Reputable
Jun 17, 2018

i get 45-55fps in server with 4-5 players. but in more then that it starts to drop til 20 fps. (which is unplayable)