[SOLVED] Linux over windows

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
I'm about to start building a pc for video editing with an i7 9700k and gtx 1050, I'm thinking about running Linux on it instead of Windows 10, is their latest os really as good? Can it make the most of the hardware? Does Linux have its own version of apps? Thanks

Solution
If it's not too late to make a suggestion, install Windows 10 and run it without activation (no cost).
Run Linux as a Virtual Machine to see how easy it would be for you to learn and run the applications you typically use (no cost)

THEN make your decision on which way to go. Is Windows worth it to you?

-Wolf sends
Have you used Linux before? Based on your question, I am guessing no. Why do I say that? Linux isn't a single OS - it's a type of OS, like USAFRet just posted out.

If you indeed have not used it before, it would probably be better to install some free distro (like Ubuntu) as a virtual machine. Play with it and see if you can do what you want to within that OS. If it works well, go for it. If not, stick with Windows.

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
Never used Linux before, I'll mainly use it for 4k and eventually 8k video watching and editing.

So I'm guessing it's a case of try Ubuntu and see if I like it...

Thanks for the advice I'll try it before I fork out for Windows

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
I'd recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu any day. I think it's much more user friendly and easier for a Windows user to adjust to since the layout is somewhat more similar to Windows.

Yes all Linux variations I've ever heard of come in a 64 bit version. More RAM is always faster no matter which OS your using, especially for things like video editing. I believe Linux is also a "Lighter"OS than Windows which makes it run a bit faster.

There are 32 bits Linux distros, but you need to active look around to find one. And it only make sense if you have a really old computer, like maybe 2004 and older (Pentium 4, AMD 2000+, etc). There are actually still 3 such ancient computers in this house right now, and they all just keep going.

Aside from Ubuntu and Mint, I'd also recommend Linux Lite as it is a very user friendlydistro and light on resources, a decent choice to people that migrates from Windows. I use it on this computer (laptop from '07) right now 🆒

Wolfshadw

Titan
If it's not too late to make a suggestion, install Windows 10 and run it without activation (no cost).
Run Linux as a Virtual Machine to see how easy it would be for you to learn and run the applications you typically use (no cost)

THEN make your decision on which way to go. Is Windows worth it to you?

-Wolf sends

Solution