Linux RH 7.0

G

I have been running redhat 7.0 server for quite a while, and I have had no problems with it, it runs my internet
server very well. Although I will agree that slackware is
probably the best linux disrib that I have used. Linux is
deffinatly more stable then windows, and I can say this without question. As to the suse being better then redhat
I have to disagree with this for a couple of simple facts.

1) Suse has horible support, c'mon guys one day a week support, and that is very limited, jesus guys get on the
ball, I know linux fairly well but even the best of us
need support at times.

2)I started on a linux raid server for the net, but much to
my surrprise I found that Suse diden't support IDE raid controllers. And our client due to funds coulden't use SCSI,
so we ordered a special 3Ware IDE raid controller just for
this build, only to find that after talking to their support
, but mind you only the day that thay were there, and even then for only a half a day did thay come to work (HHHMMM a relaxed work envronment LOL)only after talking to alot of know nothing techs did I finally find one who had an Idea about what was going on with this, and much to my disapointment I discovered that I had to rebuild the entire
kernel just to make even this special raid controller work,
therefor using BSD instead (yuk).

3) I have never had a problem with redhat, their support is
top noch, and you don't have to sift through a whole tree of
people just to find s person that knows about the OS, and so
I pose to you, is SUSE better? I don't think so.

G

>2)I started on a linux raid server for the net, but much
>to my surrprise I found that Suse diden't support IDE raid
>controllers. And our client due to funds coulden't use
>SCSI, so we ordered a special 3Ware IDE raid controller
>just for this build

To my knowledge, only the Promise software based RAID is supported at all, and their, just on RedHat & Mandrake. But the software based controllers suck anyway, the kernel-based software raid is probably better then those cards.

You're far better off with the hardware based 3ware card (and their Linux support is great).

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

I honestly think that what linux needs to do is unify their OS's, take the best of all of them and put them together to
build the best and most superior OS out there, there are some good things about all of their OS's.

The 3ware card seemed like a good card but we ended up selling to another customer who used it with windows (yuk).

I 'm glad to see that people out there are taking an interest in linux, I think that linux deserves a fair shake
at this industry, and I thank you for responding to my post.

And hay what do you use your linux for.
I think the unified idea is the best approach to the slowness that linux is having in getting a hold on the market, the big daddy MS needs some compitition, and linux
could give it to them, if thay'd just think about it, it
woulden't take that much for them to bust in to the home
desktop market.

Just provide an OS that appeals to all people, if MS can
do it then I know linux can too, llinux needs better driver
support for upper end hardware such as video cards.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dcatkin on 06/08/01 12:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

>I honestly think that what linux needs to do is unify
>their OS's, take the best of all of them and put them
>together to build the best and most superior OS out there,
>there are some good things about all of their OS's.

I think you're confusing Linux Distributions with Linux. There is only one Linux. The distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, SuSe, Debian, etc.) are just packaging & support. You don't have to use a distribution at all. As some folks here about Linux from Scratch.

In any case, I disagree with the idea of "unifying" the distributions. Competition & diversity in the Linux marketplace is a good thing. Different distributions emphasize different aspects. Mandrake concentrates on the desktop and tends to be more bleeding edge. RedHat holds back a little (sometimes), and is more interested in servers & development, etc. Due to the nature of Linux, the best variations tend to propagate through the marketplace and we get a better product.

>And hay what do you use your linux for.

It's my desktop OS @ home. But I don't do much gaming at all. Mostly typical home office stuff & hobby R&D. At work I use Linux on a 16 CPU cluster to do astrodynamic R&D.

>woulden't take that much for them to bust in to the home
>desktop market.

The problem with the desktop market is that most users are idiots when it comes to computers. Ask any help desk tech :smile: . The Linux development community is, of course, not an idiot when it comes to computers. And they tend to develop for themselves to a large degree, which results in software that computer idiots have a hard time with.

Maybe idiot is to strong a word. I'm not trying to be condescending here. Ignorant is probably a better word, in the true sense. But most people will take as much offense at being called ignorant as they do at being called an idiot. Which is ignorant of course... :smile:

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)