[SOLVED] Linux server in an old PC

vns2k177

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Hi,

I have an old Intel I7 3rd generation processor (I7 3770k). I am going to buy a Biostar H61MH V3 (no other mobos available for this processor) and 16GB RAM. The mobo spec at the Biostar site lists only windows 7/8/10 as supported OS's. My questions are:

1. Can I run Linux (server and not desktop) in this CPU/Mobo combo?
  2. Can I install 3 versions of Linux (RHEL 8, Cent OS 8, and Ubuntu Latest) in this machine?

My advance thanks!

Solution
Hi,

I have an old Intel I7 3rd generation processor (I7 3770k). I am going to buy a Biostar H61MH V3 (no other mobos available for this processor) and 16GB RAM. The mobo spec at the Biostar site lists only windows 7/8/10 as supported OS's. My questions are:

2. Can I install 3 versions of Linux (RHEL 8, Cent OS 8, and Ubuntu Latest) in this machine?
My advance thanks!
You can run Linux. The "supported" OS versions just relate to drivers supplied by the motherboard manufacturer.
Can you install 3 Linux versions? Probably, but why? Install one as bare metal, then the other 2 as VMs.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

My advance thanks!
You can run Linux. The "supported" OS versions just relate to drivers supplied by the motherboard manufacturer.
Can you install 3 Linux versions? Probably, but why? Install one as bare metal, then the other 2 as VMs.

Solution

vns2k177

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2012
Thank you very much. But is there any advantage in using VMs here? If so, any tips on how to do it?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi,

My advance thanks!
  1. Yes
  2. VMs are your friend

A host OS (Linux or Windows), and you can run multiple VMs simultaneously.

Reactions: vns2k177

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Hi,

My advance thanks!
You still can get better motherboad like Z77 if you buy used ones. I just bought used Z77 from a local store for my wife's computer. She also has i7 3770k CPU. I found this local store who mainly focuses to sell used parts and if you take your computer to them and let them install part there, they seal your case and give you 1 month guarantee. So, if I were you, I would check local stores or local advertisements to by second hand motherboard.

Since most deployments today are VMs, I would put a thin KVM on bare metal and install ALL of them as VMs.
fully agree, my retired game rig (i5-2500k on z68 / 16gb / r9 390 / 1Tb cheap sata ssd) running ubuntu 20.04.x can do it all, KVM (gui + cli), multipass (for ubuntu's cli / KVM manager), snap containers for docker, microk8s for devops - then can shut down and fire up steam... Very flexible :)