[SOLVED] [Linux Workstation] Please review build

May 27, 2020
Hi!
Building a Linux workstation for software development.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BpNPWb

The typical workload would be:
  • running multiple VMs and containers, compiling go/c++
  • handle RAM hungry electron applications (slack, vscode, spotify, etc)
  • handle Firefox with hundreds of tabs open
  • 3 screens
  • Low noise levels
  • Good performance without tuning (overclocking, extravagant bios configs, water cooling :)
Ideally this system will last me a few years with the possibility to handle some upgrades.

[P.S: For work I use a 2017 macbook pro and it feels slow and it has hiccups. I want to build something that just runs smooth and can chug along without much fuzzing]

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you kanewolf, I did some "research" and I did not come up with any updated authoritative source (Ubuntu does have a hardware compat list but it is outdated)

I changed the motherboard, from:
MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard

To:
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard

Based in an article from phoronix
I did a Linux build for the house and waited until I was sure I had support for a B450 motherboard on Fedora. OS support is something that isn't thought about, but for VERY new desktop hardware, it can be an issue.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi!
Building a Linux workstation for software development.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BpNPWb

The typical workload would be:
  • running multiple VMs and containers, compiling go/c++
  • handle RAM hungry electron applications (slack, vscode, spotify, etc)
  • handle Firefox with hundreds of tabs open
  • 3 screens
  • Low noise levels
  • Good performance without tuning (overclocking, extravagant bios configs, water cooling :)
Ideally this system will last me a few years with the possibility to handle some upgrades.

[P.S: For work I use a 2017 macbook pro and it feels slow and it has hiccups. I want to build something that just runs smooth and can chug along without much fuzzing]
Verify that the Linux distro you intend to use supports the X570 motherboard.

Reactions: peperone
May 27, 2020
Thank you kanewolf, I did some "research" and I did not come up with any updated authoritative source (Ubuntu does have a hardware compat list but it is outdated)

To:

kanewolf

Titan

To:

I did a Linux build for the house and waited until I was sure I had support for a B450 motherboard on Fedora. OS support is something that isn't thought about, but for VERY new desktop hardware, it can be an issue.

Solution
May 27, 2020
Did you end up building the ROG Crosshair VIII Hero? I also want to run Linux on it and curious how the compatibility is.
Actually I could not find it online, ended up buying a different motherboard. Found this one:
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard

I hard a bit of a struggle to get it to boot but now is working without issues