Linux ??

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

linux_0

Splendid
I tried LiveCD for Ubuntu but it was very very slow right after the loading was complete, is this normal?

Ive been using, Windows my whole life, but I wanted to see what all the fuss is about, but seems like everytime I try using Linux I hit a bump in the road, I'm probably Jinxed. But anyway, How long should I wait till after the loading is complete in order to start using the OS from the CD?

Hi :-D

What were the full specs of the machine you were running it on?

Ubuntu sometimes takes a long time to load.

Knoppix usually loads a lot faster but is not super fast either mostly due to the fact optical drives are very slow compared to a hard drive.

Do yall think that Linux will stand strong after vista comes out ???

Absolutely. After trying the Vista Beta 2 for 64-bit, I think that Vista will be a latter-day ME. It is a huge pig and requires the person to get a new computer to run, for the most part. And it will be very expensive too, even compared to XP's $300, and with lots of DRM and such to boot.

Even if Vista was an efficent, fast, reliable, moderately-priced and resource-miserly OS, I'd still use Linux as I can accomplish more with Linux than I can in Windows as I use the tools (gcc, bash, etc. ad nauseum) that Linux offers that Windows does not. And I just have gotten very used to running Linux and honestly like it and how it operates better than Windows or OS X. (I haven't tried BSD, but I am willing to bet that it would be similar to Linux from what I've seen.)

linux_0

Splendid
Do yall think that Linux will stand strong after vista comes out ???

Absolutely. After trying the Vista Beta 2 for 64-bit, I think that Vista will be a latter-day ME. It is a huge pig and requires the person to get a new computer to run, for the most part. And it will be very expensive too, even compared to XP's $300, and with lots of DRM and such to boot.

Even if Vista was an efficent, fast, reliable, moderately-priced and resource-miserly OS, I'd still use Linux as I can accomplish more with Linux than I can in Windows as I use the tools (gcc, bash, etc. ad nauseum) that Linux offers that Windows does not. And I just have gotten very used to running Linux and honestly like it and how it operates better than Windows or OS X. (I haven't tried BSD, but I am willing to bet that it would be similar to Linux from what I've seen.)

Aye I agree :-D

I've used BSD, it's great like most Unix OSes just a bit old-fashioned compared to Linux.

Both work great tho :-D

PS BSD uses BSD style init stuff and commands while most Linux distro's use SysV